All Package managers say one of the other is active; none wo

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

All Package managers say one of the other is active; none wo

Post by Pythzor »

I just burned Linux Mint XFCE and installed it today. I'm impressed (I have it on a low resource machine) :?: .

But it won't update. Update manager says: Another application is using APT. Synaptic says: Unable to get exclusive lock. This usually means that another package management application (like apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close that application first. GDebi Package Installer: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time. Please close the other application e.g. Update Manager, aptitude or Synaptic first. Terminal: E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable). E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I've tried sudo killall apt and sudo killall aptitude. Hasn't helped. What to do?

Any help given me would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the help in the past.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: All Package managers say one of the other is active; non

Post by AlbertP »

You have to remove some file named 'lock' in some subfolder of /var (/var/lib/apt/lists/lock or /var/lib/dpkg/lock). You can do it through the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
If you prefer using the file manager, you can open Thunar as root:

Code: Select all

gksudo thunar
Note that this is for Xfce users, users of other desktops may want to use another file manager
Then remove /var/lib/apt/lists/lock and /var/lib/dpkg/lock. Before you do this, make sure there is no APT, dpkg or Synaptic process running.
Last edited by AlbertP on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

Thank you very much.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

I just used it again -- thank you very much.
DrDaveHPP

Post by DrDaveHPP »

Many thanks, AlbertP - your first lock remover sorted my hanging Update Manager problem. (For some reason, Synaptic was still working fine.)
70363c1413

Post by 70363c1413 »

Thank you AlbertP, 2+ years after you very helpful post.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Thanks! worked perfectly

Return to “LMDE Archive”