how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

Postby evilgoldy on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Today when I did dist-upgrade I was notified that one of the packages had an unsolved bug and was prompted with [y/n/?]
By selecting "?" I got a lot more options, of which two were somewhat confusing:
Code: Select all
y     - continue the apt installation, but do not make the bugs ignored
a     - continue the apt installation and make all the above bugs ignored

I chose second one thinking that it would skip bugged packages and install all the others, but it got installed anyway. I don't quite understand what "make the bugs ignored" means: does it ignore bugged packages or does it ignore the fact that package has bugs? Was the "y" right choice for what I wanted?
evilgoldy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

Postby vincent on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:57 am

evilgoldy wrote:I don't quite understand what "make the bugs ignored" means: does it ignore bugged packages or does it ignore the fact that package has bugs?

The latter; you will no longer be notified from apt-listbugs about that particular bug in the future.

The right course of action would be to open up the bug report, e.g. from your browser (http://bugs.debian.org/######), read the entire report, and evaluate whether the bug affects/may affect you or not. You would then either press 'y' to continue with the upgrade as usual, or 'n' to stop APT and then see if you can find a fix/workaround for that bug; if not, hold the package, or set its pin-priority in /etc/apt/preferences to avoid upgrading the package as a temporary measure, and then run dist-upgrade to upgrade the rest of the packages that aren't affected by the buggy package.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions