System dead, 5 times, Now i am ******,

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod1

System dead, 5 times, Now i am ******,

Post by specmod1 »

Debain squeeze..

I keep getting a error on BLOCK 0 before the system even starts, On 2 different hard drives,

I install the system, A week later its dead, Fsck fails or some bullshit, 5 times in a raw????

Fsck died exit status 4

findfs uuid=39dce7bc-288c6 what ever....

I am going to install debain squeeze this time. using the debain installer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
specmod1

Re: System dead, 5 times, Now i am ******,

Post by specmod1 »

Why is there no system recovery? Like on windows? with a windows cd?
headkase

Post by headkase »

I don't know if this will help you, but having a bootable cd from here:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

is always a good idea. *Goes to burn one*
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Installed from the same source all 5 times ? Might be a corrupted source. Bad iso ... the whole check the md5 checksum and burn the iso at slower speeds spiel, blahblahblah. Or are you watching what's being installed from the repos ? You might be allowing something you don't want to be dl'ed and installed 5 times running. That's crapping out your system.

If you're getting stuff that's sid, or testing quality. Software in a testing repo, is said to sometimes have issues and bugs that haven't been worked out yet. ( edit ) 1st time I finished installing Mint, the update manager told me I had 200+ shiny new packages waiting for me to dl and install.

Thought an updated OS sounds great ! So I selected all, dl'ed everything and installed the whole shebang. A bunch of those were packages rated 3 and 4 ( < not safe ). It screwed the OS up and I thought Mint suks !

Didn't want to quit, so did a fresh install. Was more cautious about what update packages were installed. Now have the update manager set to only show packages rated 1's and 2's. Mint's running like a charm now.

random note: System restore is next to worthless for recovering from anything really serious in my experience, shrugs. They've made tons of ways to backup and restore your new Linux OS ... You've just got to learn about them and use them, shrugs again.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

specmod1 wrote:Why is there no system recovery? Like on windows? with a windows cd?
What kind of recovery were you expecting? There's a problem with the filesystem and the whole point of fsck is to find and fix those problems. Windows would use chkdsk instead. The fact that fsck spits out filesystem errors on the very first block doesn't look good. Your whole filesystem must be screwed. I'd definitely make sure that you have a good ISO and that the burn was completed correctly before trying anything more drastic. A minor error either from a corrupted ISO or bad burn may not cause immediate problems, but could cause something to go wrong down the track like this.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

In addition to what randomizer said, what file system did you install? Was it ext3 or 4 or something else? That might make a difference. Are you dual-booting? If so is LMDE's grub on the MBR or how is it booting? Those things might make a difference also. It may be that grub needs to be re-installed?

Also, you started the thread saying Debian Squeeze, are you running LMDE pointing to the squeeze repo's or are you running Debian Squeeze without the minty repo's? Overall, more details would be helpful, because it's odd that it would run fine for a few days and then not.

Return to “LMDE Archive”