Slow File Movement[Updated/Fixed]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Slow File Movement[Updated/Fixed]

Postby inktitan on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I am experiencing extremely slow file transfers on my system. Not just to external drive but from my desktop to the trash and from the download folder to other folders on same drive and partition. I thought maybe the new kernel 2.6.38 was to blame but I am having the same issue with Salix 13.1.2 which uses 2.6.33. I have found on other posts that the ext 3/4 formats slow it down because of the journaling but I have not had any problems until yesterday the day after I updated but the update does not explain why Salix transfers files slowly. "slow file transfer in Linux" appears to be to vague a statement for Google. I do get some almost helpful results but reformatting my PC to ext 2 is not what I am looking for. Most are just referring to transfers to usb or other drives. Any thoughts, advice or experiences are welcome.

Update: It seems to be back to normal speeds. I do not know why this accrued in two different OSes but it has abated at least for now. Perhaps I should look inti getting a new processor. Also to note I did have to set the time in my BIOS back to the correct time. I noticed it was wrong in Salix which reads the same time as the BIOS vs Mint that sets it according to the network. So some fishiness is going on inside the box. <sigh>
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics
inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions