Hibernation (Again)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Skinnx86

Hibernation (Again)

Post by Skinnx86 »

Hello Mint Lovers,

I had a small issue with Hibernation and Suspend not working, but looking through the forums and using google I have managed to get hibernation to work fully (including resuming the graphics). I did this by adding

Code: Select all

/dev/sda5 swap	swap	pri=42	0 0
to fstab. But now when I boot, I notice that I get "Activating swap... Failed" but further down "Activating Swapfile Swap...... Done" in the boot sequence messages (before the Logon Screen). If I remove the above line from fstab I then get "Loading Swap...Done" at boot, but then I can not hibernate.

I have tried

sudo gedit /var/log/boot

but the file was blank and

sudo gedit /var/log/messages 
does not have the boot sequence messages to study. What makes this an odd issue is that my swapfile is working ok as I have checked the System Monitor.

I guess this means there is no point in worrying, but I thought that I would share this with the community and with any luck some one will fill me in and some others may be able to fix their hibernation issues. :mrgreen:

On the other hand this has not solved Suspend not working. I have looked into uswsusp but have not implemented it, as I now have hibernation working fully. I have included lspci and lsusb in case anyone needs it.

skinna@mintdebianskinna ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
02:01.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711EC1 SmartCardBus Controller (rev 20)
02:01.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711EC1 SmartCardBus Controller (rev 20)
02:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)

skinna@mintdebianskinna ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:071f Microsoft Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bb4:0ff9 High Tech Computer Corp. Desire / Hero
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Hibernation (Again)

Post by mads »

Hi Skinnx86

Check if Resume line in "/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume" file is commented out:
gksudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
If yes, like this
#RESUME=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
then add the following line
RESUME=/dev/sda5

Then run:
sudo update-initramfs -u
followed by reboot.

See if you can suspend.

PS! You also said: "I have tried sudo gedit /var/log/boot but the file was blank".
This is because boot logging is off by default. To enable it:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/bootlogd
change
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No
to
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

Thanks mads,

I now have boot log working but unfortunately still no suspend, even after initramfs update and reboot. :(
mads

Post by mads »

Skinnx86 wrote:I now have boot log working but unfortunately still no suspend, even after initramfs update and reboot. :(
If you are willing to change "/dev/sda5 swap swap pri=42 0 0" (which only makes sense for systems having multiple swaps),
you could try the following sequence (I cannot guarantee but if successful will make both hibernate and suspend work):
1) sudo swapoff /dev/sda5

2) sudo mkswap /dev/sda5
The output also shows the UUID for your swap
... UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

3) gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
Your swap line should look like this (comment out the old entry)
UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx swap swap sw 0 0

4) gksudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
Your Resume line should look like this (comment out the old entry/entries)
RESUME=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

5) sudo swapon UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

6) sudo update-initramfs -u

7) Reboot
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

It worked to some degree. As in, "Activating Swap...Failed" at boot is now replaced with "Activating Swap...Done". But I still can not suspend. Hibernate still works though. FYI when I Hibernate my machine's screen goes black (but not off) for a while - I presume it is saving the current state - then turns off. When I choose to put my machine into suspend it does not seam to do this, but to turn off the machine nearly instantly. When I switch it on the screen comes on but stays black and all I can do it hold the power button until it switches off.

I did realize that "pri=42 0 0" was for multiple swaps but seaming as it worked for hibernation (and I like the idea of the ultimate answer to Life, The Universe and Everything in my fstab file 8) ), I left it alone.
mads

Post by mads »

Skinnx86 wrote:It worked to some degree. As in, "Activating Swap...Failed" at boot is now replaced with "Activating Swap...Done". But I still can not suspend. Hibernate still works though. FYI when I Hibernate my machine's screen goes black (but not off) for a while - I presume it is saving the current state - then turns off. When I choose to put my machine into suspend it does not seam to do this, but to turn off the machine nearly instantly. When I switch it on the screen comes on but stays black and all I can do it hold the power button until it switches off.

I did realize that "pri=42 0 0" was for multiple swaps but seaming as it worked for hibernation (and I like the idea of the ultimate answer to Life, The Universe and Everything in my fstab file 8) ), I left it alone.
In other words, back to the very beginning. :lol:

Sorry Skinnx86, I had great hopes for this. It must be a model specific issue, very strange.

The ultimate answer to Life is the best. Me and a few friends had great fun with '42' for quite a long time.
Please please make every thing exactly as it was in the beginning, ... pri=42 0 0 :lol:
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

:D I glad I made someones day! And thank you for the quick and precise responses. It is and old - at least 5 or 6 years - Dell D600, I'm just glad it bested my mates M$:W7 / Quad Core / 3GB RAM in loading Engadget. And tied it in overall boot time, but that is only because I had to select LMDE in Grub. As I said in my initial post,
I guess this means there is no point in worrying, but I thought that I would share this with the community and with any luck some one will fill me in and some others may be able to fix their hibernation issues. :mrgreen:
In other words, back to the very beginning. :lol:
Ah. Not quite. I don't have "Activating Swap...Failed" any more, so i'm not sure I should change it back (I still have "pri=42 0 0 "
commented out! although admittedly it does not have as much "geek-cred" 8) ) Do you really think it would be better though?
I may change it if anything breaks - or I could change back, backup, the switch back again, in case of a fault.
mads

Post by mads »

Skinnx86 wrote:Ah. Not quite. I don't have "Activating Swap...Failed" any more, so i'm not sure I should change it back (I still have "pri=42 0 0 "
commented out! although admittedly it does not have as much "geek-cred" 8) ) Do you really think it would be better though?
I may change it if anything breaks - or I could change back, backup, the switch back again, in case of a fault.
I was afraid that you had deleted pri=42 from fstab. If it is commented out, then leave it as it is until someone comes with
the ultimate answer. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) :lol:
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

No need to apologise, I probably would of said something simalar! :D.

Sent using my HTC Wildfire and Dolphin HD Browser.
No tapatalk for me! (yet), just full LM Forum goodness!! :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”