Installing & setting up Mint XFCE desktop in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
madwoollything

Installing & setting up Mint XFCE desktop in LMDE

Post by madwoollything »

I'd like to try out the XFCE desktop on a box which already has LMDE running.
There are a number of packages in synaptic when searching for XFCE & Mint.
Which ones should be installed to have the authentic Mint XFCE desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installing & setting up Mint XFCE desktop in LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

You should be able to do sudo apt-get install mint-meta-xfce. That should bring in the entire xfce desktop and allow you to choose your preference at login.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

tdockery97 wrote:You should be able to do sudo apt-get install mint-meta-xfce. That should bring in the entire xfce desktop and allow you to choose your preference at login.
Thanks .... have xfce up and running and am using Mint Menu. The Mint Menu seems to be picking up the gnome settings rather than the xfce settings eg when launching 'control centre'. Is there a way around this?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Not having dug too far into the configuration of mintMenu, I'm not sure. I do know that when you have 2 desktop environments installed, you tend to get overlap of packages and such. Also, from what I've seen on the forums Mint Xfce seems to have a lot of Gnome components incorporated to start with.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

tdockery97 wrote:Not having dug too far into the configuration of mintMenu, I'm not sure. I do know that when you have 2 desktop environments installed, you tend to get overlap of packages and such. Also, from what I've seen on the forums Mint Xfce seems to have a lot of Gnome components incorporated to start with.
I think you are right from what I've experienced. Its time to choose .... gnome or xfce.

What is great is that you HAVE a choice in the first place!

Return to “LMDE Archive”