LMDE what to answer to configuration changes in dist-upgrade

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE what to answer to configuration changes in dist-upgrade

Postby shalom938 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 am

Hi all
just installed LMDE and I think I like it!
I installed from cd and immediately after first reboot I did a dist-upgrade, during the dist-upgrade I was asked a few times to decide on configuration changed weather to keep my version or the package maintainer version, I selected on all to install the package maintainer version because I didn't change anything after the fresh install, but then I thought that maybe those changes are actually changes made by the mint developers? and if yes, by answering to install the package maintainer version did I just override some mint changes?

Thanks
shalom938
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE what to answer to configuration changes in dist-upg

Postby mads on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 am

Configuration files on update. Keep or Replace?

In short terms:

If you answer "keep", a copy of the newer version will be saved in the same folder as the original file with the suffix ".dpkg-dist", for example "daemon.conf.dpkg-dist".
If you answer "replace", the original file will be overwritten by the new one, but a copy will be saved in the same folder with the suffix ".dpkg-old", for example "daemon.conf.dpkg-old".

You can compare the files during the update process in the way det4100 has explained and decide whether to keep or replace them. You can also undo your action and all changes afterward in the way doktordave has explained.
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions