Compiz & Emerald not working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gibbylinks

Compiz & Emerald not working

Post by gibbylinks »

Hi all,

I've migrated here from Ubuntu as I didn't like the look of Unity, and like the idea of a rolling release. I've installed LMDE and have my setup working with AWN and using the latest liqourix kernel which was the same setup as my Ubuntu.

The only problem I have is I can't get compiz to behave. I used to have the "cube" enabled and rotated it using the keys to change desktop. This is refusing to work under LMDE. It keeps using the flat panel switcher (the one that presents a ribbon in the centre of the screen and you just flick to the next one). I've installed the compiz-fusion icon and this tells me that I'm using compiz and have emerald enabled. (which is another matter as it's ignoring all the emerald themes). Both compiz and emerald used to work on Ubuntu 64bit 10.10 previously.

Can anyone give me some pointers ?

(See signature for hardware)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kbkatz1

Re: Compiz & Emerald not working

Post by kbkatz1 »

I had/have the same problem. I believe the problem may be your video card, I know my ATI Radeon 9700 doesn't work like it used to under LM9.
xircon

Post by xircon »

I have it working on a Mobility Radeon HD5000 series. Are you running flgrx? And check /etc/X11/xorg.conf, sometimes compositing gets turned off in there:

Code: Select all

Section "Extensions"
	Option      "Composite"	"enable"
#	Option      "RENDER"	"disable"
EndSection
This is the section in mine.

Cheers

Steve
gibbylinks

Post by gibbylinks »

Arrrrrgh

Whats going on xorg.conf has been stolen !! It's not there !!

Any ideas ?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Did you run aticonfig --initial (Ithink thats the command)??
gibbylinks

Post by gibbylinks »

I only did a fresh install last week. Other than adding AWN, Liqourix kernels & Emerald I've not made any changes.

Apparently I'm not running fgrlx. Don't think my system can run it. I tried to install it under Ubuntu. But I did have compiz & emerald running under ubuntu

aticonfig --initial
The program 'aticonfig' is currently not installed.  To run 'aticonfig' please ask your administrator to install the package 'fglrx-driver'
aticonfig: command not found
xircon

Post by xircon »

OK, I am not very good with card models, but what have you got?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Hang on, Liqourix - I could not get the ATI drivers to work on that kernel, they do however work on 2.6.38-2-amd64 and the previous standard kernel.
gibbylinks

Post by gibbylinks »

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
xircon

Post by xircon »

But as I said, liquorix didn't work for me :(
gibbylinks

Post by gibbylinks »

Thanks for all the help. I'll try the debian kernel in the morning and look at those links

Cheers
gibbylinks

Post by gibbylinks »

Sorry for delay in replying.

flgrx won't work with my card. I've stripped this off and reverted to the stock kernel.

Now when I type in compiz --replace in terminal I get this error

compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
I've installed fusion-icon and emerald and fusion-icon has compiz selected as default window manager.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”