Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

Postby chrisinspace on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I'll start by saying that I just installed LMDE last week and, so far, I'm loving it. I have used Ubuntu for several years, but recently set up Debian on a couple servers and really liked it. LMDE has really brought a nice layer of polish to an awesome OS.

When I first set everything up, I installed Gnome-Do and it worked great. It still functions just fine, but after a round of LMDE updates, something broke and it looks awful. I have compiz enabled and all other compositing looks fine. I thought maybe it was a problem with Gnome-Do, so I removed it and installed Synapse, but it has pretty much the same problem. See the screenshot below:

The whole Gnome-do window should be black and the shadows are all squared off. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

Postby stz*j on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 am

Sorry if I'm mistaken but isn't Synapse for ubuntu/ubuntu-based distros? I've considered installing it before when my gnome-do didn't work (it's ok now) but I couldn't find it in the LMDE repos... So my question is: Did you install it using a ppa or from source? There might be incompatability problems or something. :|

Have you tried mintmenu --> desktop settings --> 'windows' tab --> Check "Use Gnome compositing"?

Btw, nice looking desktop :) , is that conky at the bottom of the screen??
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.
stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chrisinspace on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 am

Thx on the desktop. It is conky. I've been trying to figure it our for some time now and I'm finally starting to get a handle on it.

The problem isn't just with Synapse...it also happens with Gnome-Do, but those are the only 2 apps giving me problems. And Gnome-Do used to work fine, but suddenly broke. I installed Synapse from the Sid repos:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/synapse

If it were only Synapse giving me problems, I would chalk it up to experimental software, but the fact that Do worked, but broke lets me think there is a larger problem at hand and that I can figure out a fix. I have "use gnome compositing checked" but thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:29 am

Just found out that screenlets are doing it too:

chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

So, I've been searching for weeks on this, but haven't been able to find an answer. Has anyone seen this issue?
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dr.m0x on Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

Yes I use kupfer, which has similar functionality to gnome do, and it started to look messed up recently.

Will post a screen later.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Postby chrisinspace on Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah...it definitely seems to be affecting more than just Gnome-Do and Synapse. That's just where I noticed it first. My screenlets don't display correctly either. It all worked fine when I first set up LMDE about a month ago, but after one of the updates, it broke.
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

I never did figure out what the problem was, but I received an nvidia and an x server update last week and now everything is back to normal. I guess that's the price you pay for using the Testing branch. Not a problem, though. It's nice to know the devs are on it! Long live LMDE! :D
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions