Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

Postby chrisinspace on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I'll start by saying that I just installed LMDE last week and, so far, I'm loving it. I have used Ubuntu for several years, but recently set up Debian on a couple servers and really liked it. LMDE has really brought a nice layer of polish to an awesome OS.

When I first set everything up, I installed Gnome-Do and it worked great. It still functions just fine, but after a round of LMDE updates, something broke and it looks awful. I have compiz enabled and all other compositing looks fine. I thought maybe it was a problem with Gnome-Do, so I removed it and installed Synapse, but it has pretty much the same problem. See the screenshot below:

The whole Gnome-do window should be black and the shadows are all squared off. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome-Do / Synapse compositing issue

Postby stz*j on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 am

Sorry if I'm mistaken but isn't Synapse for ubuntu/ubuntu-based distros? I've considered installing it before when my gnome-do didn't work (it's ok now) but I couldn't find it in the LMDE repos... So my question is: Did you install it using a ppa or from source? There might be incompatability problems or something. :|

Have you tried mintmenu --> desktop settings --> 'windows' tab --> Check "Use Gnome compositing"?

Btw, nice looking desktop :) , is that conky at the bottom of the screen??
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.
stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chrisinspace on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 am

Thx on the desktop. It is conky. I've been trying to figure it our for some time now and I'm finally starting to get a handle on it.

The problem isn't just with Synapse...it also happens with Gnome-Do, but those are the only 2 apps giving me problems. And Gnome-Do used to work fine, but suddenly broke. I installed Synapse from the Sid repos:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/synapse

If it were only Synapse giving me problems, I would chalk it up to experimental software, but the fact that Do worked, but broke lets me think there is a larger problem at hand and that I can figure out a fix. I have "use gnome compositing checked" but thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:29 am

Just found out that screenlets are doing it too:

chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

So, I've been searching for weeks on this, but haven't been able to find an answer. Has anyone seen this issue?
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dr.m0x on Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

Yes I use kupfer, which has similar functionality to gnome do, and it started to look messed up recently.

Will post a screen later.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Postby chrisinspace on Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah...it definitely seems to be affecting more than just Gnome-Do and Synapse. That's just where I noticed it first. My screenlets don't display correctly either. It all worked fine when I first set up LMDE about a month ago, but after one of the updates, it broke.
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chrisinspace on Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

I never did figure out what the problem was, but I received an nvidia and an x server update last week and now everything is back to normal. I guess that's the price you pay for using the Testing branch. Not a problem, though. It's nice to know the devs are on it! Long live LMDE! :D
chrisinspace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions