custom remastering

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

custom remastering

Postby rperitsky on Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 am

First off, let me say that I REALLY like LMDE.....it has become my distro of choice.

However, I would like to suggest one item that would make it close to perfect (for me, anyhow): an easy way to create a custom remaster (ISO) that would allow me to incorporate the changes that I have found useful for all my installs.

Other distros have done so....PCLinuxOS has their "mylivecd" package....Ubuntu and Debian have "remastersys" (which, unfortunately does not play nice with LMDE).

Please consider developing such an application for LMDE which works "out of the box".
rperitsky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: custom remastering

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 13, 2011 3:19 pm

You could try Clonezilla.

http://clonezilla.org/

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby rperitsky on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, Clonezilla will allow creating an image.....but not a redistributable livecd with the ability to simply install from there.

I just tried the most recent version of remastersys on my LMDE install and it failed to install. (two packages trying to overwrite the same files)
rperitsky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ukbrian on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am

+1
I agree, there is a huge need for such a script

I'm just about to do a remaster of my customized avlinux install, fingers crossed it's the first one i've tried.
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions