[Solved] gmail rich text: all fonts same

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] gmail rich text: all fonts same

Postby analogue_G on Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 am

I noticed that while typing in the rich text editor in gmail, I could select a different font, but the font face remained the same. Actually the drop-down list showed all the font names listed with the same default font face. Strange. On a hunch, I downloaded the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. Instantly (without restarting firefox), the fonts were now available. the drop down list now shows the font names in their own style. Is this a known dependency? If so, perhaps ttf-mscorefonts-installer should be a default package in LMDE?

Using Firefox 3.6.13

fixed.gif
how the rich text font selection box looks in gmail after installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer package
fixed.gif (5.49 KiB) Viewed 383 times

I'll see if I can uninstall that package and show the problem I had before.
Last edited by analogue_G on Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
analogue_G
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gmail rich text: all fonts same

Postby analogue_G on Thu May 19, 2011 12:26 am

Investigation of rich text formatting in gmail and true type fonts (follow up):

First, I removed mscorefonts
Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get purge ttf-mscorefonts-installer

after logout/login this is what I see in gmail. Notice the similar font face except "serif" and "courier new"
liberation_only.gif
ttf-mscorefonts-installer removed. ttf-liberation installed
liberation_only.gif (5.47 KiB) Viewed 378 times

Then I also removed liberation
Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get purge ttf-liberation

after logout/login this is what I see in gmail. Notice the similar font face for all listed fonts.
broken.gif
no mscorefonts. no liberation. This is the default state of LMDE (I think?)
broken.gif (5.05 KiB) Viewed 378 times

So... I guess that the rich text in gmail depends on some true type fonts, and works correctly with mscorefonts. Are there any other true type font packages that work? I am not sure.
analogue_G
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions