A few niggles...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

A few niggles...

Postby daozen on Sat May 21, 2011 7:20 am

Hi guys,

Been using LMDE for a while now and really like it.

I've a few questions regarding some niggles I'm experiencing, they're not huge problems but are annoying.

OK firstly is boot time, when it get to the grub menu if I press enter LMDE will boot quiet quickly but if I leave it for the 10 seconds and it boots automatically after that it takes ages, like a good 2 minutes longer. Any ideas whats causing it and how to fix? I would give it a go myself but thought I'd ask first as I tend to make things worse or break them instead of fix it.

Secondly is when you install a program it takes a very long time to read the database, it never used to but does know?

And sort of to do with that, not sure if its the cause I installed dropbox and I get this message if I'm installing or updating:

Code: Select all
N: Ignoring file 'dropbox.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

What can I do about that?

I know they are not major issues but they are annoying, any help is appreciated.

Cheers
daozen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A few niggles...

Postby xircon on Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 am

Code: Select all
sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.save

That will sort the .save files.

My updates are also a bit slow.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions