Encryption/[UPDATE] Passwords/[UPDATE] Keyrings

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Encryption/[UPDATE] Passwords/[UPDATE] Keyrings

Postby lmde_freak on Wed May 25, 2011 12:25 am

hi, i'm new to linux and to lmde. loving it, so far. i'm having some issues, computer not mental.

1. i would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to encrypt the home folder if this is available yet in lmde. i downloaded ecryptfs and the appropriate tools, created another user and attempted to 'migrate' my home folder using the newly created user without luck. also, i tried to encrypt the swap space, bad idea. ended up reloading lmde. i know there is some convoluted lvm encryption guides for lmde out there, but i don't really want to re-install again or install debian then point the repos toward lmde.

2. [UPDATE: see below] on another, but related topic; the right-click 'encrypt...' feature from the seahorse/seahorse-plugins in nautilus is broke. i have my pgp key set-up in 'system->preferences->passwords and encryption keys'. my current work-around is encrypting files via the command line with 'gpg'. any help would be appreciated.

3. [UPDATE] lmde isn't allowing me to create a new keyring in 'passwords and encryption keys', what's up with that? moreover, lmde isn't remembering the wifi router password; any ideas?
[UPDATE] BUG: gnome-keyring BREAKS seahorse-plugins
- this is NOT a lmde bug, but rather a seahorse one as far as i can tell; it's also been described here...
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/779805
- installing the seahorse-plugins will REMOVE the gnome-keyring, and vice versa. so, if you want lmde to remember your passwords for say, the router, you better hold off on the plugins for now.

i know i'm verbose; your help is appreciated.
lmde_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions