VNC Issues with Gnome

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

VNC Issues with Gnome

Post by TwinShadows »

This is gonna sound odd, but hear me out.

We all love using VNC to remote to someones computer or a server to do various things with a minimal GUI or something. Well.. I decided to try that with a friends system and VNC works.. up to a point.

It appears either its something specific to Debian, or the Mint Team did something that broke things that it shouldn't. I'm using vnc4server/viewer on both sides, and I can connect to my friends system just fine through an SSH tunnel and use VNC to connect. However... gnome-terminal will hang the very second you type something with the keyboard. Why, I don't know. I had to go in a modify the xstartup to use xterm instead in order to get things mildly working.

There's various issues going on with Gnome and VNC. Like, if I were to use a different window manager, I can at least get a basic gnome-session running, use that to look at things, but lets say I need to open the software manager and it asks for the password. Well, on occasions it'll actually freeze and cause 100% CPU usage, and its not suppose to do that. I have to go and kill -9 it to stop it from doing that.There's something wrong with the keyring that's doing that, or something...

I don't entirely know what's going on, but you can test this yourself easy. Just start up and enter vncserver -geometry 800x600 :3 or whatever, then vncviewer localhost:3 to look at the new display. Try typing something, you'll see right there that gnome-terminal will freeze in an instant. I tested it on my laptop as well that runs LMDE, same exact issue.

Another friend of mine helped me a bit, but he can't figure out what's causing it. We have no issue using an SSH tunnel to use VNC on a server he owns that runs Ubuntu, so this is most likely an issue with what the Mint Team did or something. We're using the exact same process to do things. I'll give an example:

Code: Select all

ssh -C -L 5910:localhost:5910 someuser@some.hostgoeshere.net
vncserver -geometry 800x600 :10
*leave terminal open and open a new one*
vncviewer localhost:10
-type in gnome-terminal, instant freeze-
That's a run-down of what I do on his server, and my friends system. So, I'm about as confused as it gets here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VNC Issues with Gnome

Post by TwinShadows »

le bump~

Still a perplexing issue really since I can't figure it out.
brandx

Post by brandx »

That's a known issue with libgtk-3.0.11-1. The same thing will happen in other programs as well (notably Google Chrome). Upgrading to 3.0.12 corrects it.

Edit: Bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=633917
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TwinShadows »

I guess that would explain it. Looks like I may have to either wait for it to show up in the repository or download the deb and upgrade it that way..
brandx

Post by brandx »

I've been using 3.0.12 for a couple of weeks now with no noticeable side effects. But of course, the choice to upgrade now or wait is certainly yours. Assuming you choose to upgrade now and if you're not familiar with pulling individual packages from sid try googling "apt pinning" for some nice guides on setting up your sources.list and preferences - then it's a simple "sudo apt-get install -t sid libgtk-3-0" to upgrade.
geofurtado

Post by geofurtado »

The issue is actually caused by an updated version of vino that does not appear to work. The workaround is to unmark vino from the first major batch of updates. Instead of accepting the automatic update, you will need to use the update tool in the Administration menu, then look for the vino update and uncheck it.

BTW I also found that I needed to uncheck the gtreamer update to get the tool to run.

No problems with Remote Desktop -- vnc connections anymore.
P4NCH1

Post by P4NCH1 »

geofurtado, but, how do I downgrade vino if I already update it?
I have the same problem in my LMDE... My vino version is 3.0.3-1 (testing) and my libgtk installed is 3.0.11-1

Hope anyone can help me!

Thanks.
geofurtado

Post by geofurtado »

I think someone posted something about an update and getting the newer version of vino working..... Try searching through the forum for remote desktop or vino problems.

However, if you cannot find anything you can:

Uninstall (remove) your current version of vino. Do an Internet search for a vino deb package that is older than the one you have, download it and install it.

If you need more help, post a reply.
P4NCH1

Post by P4NCH1 »

geofurtado wrote:I think someone posted something about an update and getting the newer version of vino working..... Try searching through the forum for remote desktop or vino problems.

However, if you cannot find anything you can:

Uninstall (remove) your current version of vino. Do an Internet search for a vino deb package that is older than the one you have, download it and install it.

If you need more help, post a reply.
Ok, worked for me. I removed the last version and then installed an older one (2.22.2-1). Then I had to add the vino-server service to the startup apps and all ready :D

Thanks for all!
geofurtado

Post by geofurtado »

Update to VNC Issues and Post Update Pack 7 Problem with Remote Connection

After installing Update Pack 7 on LMDE I was unable to connection via vnc to my LMDE host. Needed to reset my Remote Desktop Sharing settings (apparently they were changed during the pack update).

Also needed to use dconf-editor to change encryption setting:
Open dconf-editor, then click on the following settings

org
gnome
desktop
remote-access
require-encription "remove check mark"

Return to “LMDE Archive”