[Solved]Root Login

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved]Root Login

Postby jk121960 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 am

HI, I have been using Mint since version 8 and love the distro, I wanted to try out Mint Debian but I cant get teh root login to work. I am testing on a VB VM and cant even access shares because they have to have root access. Yes I could you command line but what is the point of a GUI if I have to use console for everthing. If I build the machine I should have root access. Can someone please tell me how to accomplish this? and also I couldnt find a Katya Debian is that out yet?

thanks

--jerry
Last edited by jk121960 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jk121960
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Root Login

Postby Fornhamfred on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 am

I am running LMDE and my root password is the same as my user password. When installing LMDE although you are given the option to add a root password it does not accept it.

Can you use a terminal and just type in su, it will ask for your password. If your user password works then you are accessing root OK.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jk121960 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks for the reply but...
Yes I can su the terminal but I want to use things like file management through the GUI and shares are root controlled. I use a command line for it all the time it defeats the use of the GUI. Also everytime I want to say like add software I have to login in, it reminds me of "Apologies" but as if I was in "Vista" I want control of my machine unfettered, that is why I like linux in the first place, I dont want to be protected from myself. Somebody please help?

thanks

--jerry
jk121960
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grizzler on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 am

jk121960 wrote:Also everytime I want to say like add software I have to login in,

Really? I only have to do that once after I switch on my computer. E.g. when I start Nautilus as administrator for the first time, I enter the password and next time it just opens without any more queries. Same with Synaptic and several other tools and applications that use gksu instead of gksudo. Of course, I do allow the first occurence to save the password for the duration of the session.

If you still think you need to be able to log in as root, take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57240&p=328395&hilit=+root+login

I couldnt find a Katya Debian is that out yet?

There's no such thing (and there never will be). LMDE is a rolling release. A respin of the current state will be available in the not too distant future: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1791
grizzler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jk121960 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am

I really appreciate the responses and the help, and I understand that is is not advised but this is my personal machine and I have had my share of mishaps. One of the things I like about Linux is not being saved from myself. This is also the Debian not Ubuntu version (I have successfully enabled that root Grub) and I have tried to change the root password, I have tried to enable it the way that the articles indicated, but to no avail. Can someone (and I don't hold anyone responsible in anyway) please tell me how to enable the grub Login of root on Debian Mint?

thanks

--jerry
jk121960
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grizzler on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am

Did you actually do as alan_newbie suggested in the thread I mentioned (comment out those lines in the files /etc/pam.d/gdm3 and /etc/pam.d/gdm3-autologin)? Just out of curiosity I tried it myself and it works like a charm.
grizzler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jk121960 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 pm

My Apologies grizzler I must have skimmed right over that part, it worked beautifully!!

thanks very much for the repost to shake the dust out of my head.

--jerry
jk121960
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions