Packages already in GTK3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TinyTony

Packages already in GTK3

Post by TinyTony »

Hello everybody,

Some packages have already switched to GTK3 in Debian Testing, like gnome-terminal, while others (the vast majority I'd say) haven't, like gedit.

Code: Select all

tt@macondo ~ $ apt-cache policy gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal:
  Installé : 3.0.1-1
tt@macondo ~ $ apt-cache policy gedit
gedit:
  Installé : 2.30.4-2
tt@macondo ~ $ apt-cache depends gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal
  Dépend: libgtk-3-0
tt@macondo ~ $ apt-cache depends gedit
gedit
  Dépend: libgtk2.0-0
I suppose packages are going to be more and more GTK3 based and it is useless to try to fight that. The problem is that for the moment, apps based on GTK3 look ugly and seem to lack theme.

So I have two questions :
– how to make GTK3 apps match the Linux Mint theme for GTK2 ?
– more generally, how are we suppose to manage this transition phase towards GTK3 and Gnome 3 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cdysthe

Re: Packages already in GTK3

Post by cdysthe »

I also wonder about this since Gnome-Terminal (which I use a lot) looks bad. The System Monitor, Calculator and a couple of other programs have the same problem. Since Linux Mint has chosen to stick to Gnome 2 sooner or later a solution to the Gnome 3 based programs included must be resolved. Some minimal gtk3 lib package could be the solution, but I've heard gtk2 and 3 aren't compatible.
TinyTony

Post by TinyTony »

cdysthe wrote:I also wonder about this since Gnome-Terminal (which I use a lot) looks bad. The System Monitor, Calculator and a couple of other programs have the same problem. Since Linux Mint has chosen to stick to Gnome 2 sooner or later a solution to the Gnome 3 based programs included must be resolved. Some minimal gtk3 lib package could be the solution, but I've heard gtk2 and 3 aren't compatible.
Same thing for system monitor and calculator. You're wrong, GTK3 libs are installed in the same time than GTK2 ones, they are not incompatible :

Code: Select all

vincent@macondo ~ $ apt-cache policy libgtk-3-0
libgtk-3-0:
  Installé : 3.0.10-1
vincent@macondo ~ $ apt-cache policy libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0:
  Installé : 2.24.4-3
The problem seems more to be the lack of theme.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Hi TinyTony,
- as for the first question, there's a hack here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p441626 to make the system atm able to use gtk3;
- as for the second, the idea seems to be, hold as much as possible Gnome3 (to avoid the inherent breakages), and that is being done with the latest and incoming repos.

Return to “LMDE Archive”