Kernel panic on shutdown?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Kernel panic on shutdown?

Postby wilberfan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:43 pm

New LMDE install. Ran a complete upgrade. Installed Oracle version VirtualBox. (Among other things...)

I'm now getting a kernel panic at every shutdown?: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5372/img7686f.jpg

(Sorry--is there a better way to capture that verbiage??)

I can't really translate what I'm seeing there--is it related somehow to VirtualBox??
wilberfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Kernel panic on shutdown?

Postby wilberfan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Based on this other thread ( viewtopic.php?f=141&t=75848 ), I'm guessing this kernel is problematic? And I think I was right about the VirtualBox connection--when I ran a "rmmod -f vboxdrv", I did NOT get a panic at shutdown. I may try the liquorix kernel and see how that goes...
wilberfan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kernel panic on shutdown?

Postby wilberfan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:35 pm

wilberfan wrote:Based on this other thread ( viewtopic.php?f=141&t=75848 ), I'm guessing this kernel is problematic? And I think I was right about the VirtualBox connection--when I ran a "rmmod -f vboxdrv", I did NOT get a panic at shutdown. I may try the liquorix kernel and see how that goes...

Well, I had the same result (kernel panic) with the Liquorix kernel, so it must be VirtualBox related...?
wilberfan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions