Update Manager [ SOLVED ]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Update Manager [ SOLVED ]

Postby Dar-es-Salaam on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:52 am

I have just done a complete reintalation of LMDE. After the initial insatation of the package the upload manager then stated that I had 1154 upgrades waiting, ( rather a lot I thought ) so I asked it to download / intall them. I got an error message saying that I had broken files and to fix them first. I clicked ok and it promptly closed down. I reopened the upload manager again only to find out that there was no way of fixing the broken files in the magager. My thing is this, as a clomple newbie to linux and LMDE, how are you supposed to know how to fix the problem and get the required downloads. Certainly a big turn of to a newbie who will think that the system crashes before he / she even gets on it. Why can't it have an auto fix for broken files built into it as aptitude has ? :D
Last edited by Dar-es-Salaam on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Gordon :D

O/S. LMDE , Motherboard Asus A7N8X Delux , CPU AMD XP1500+ (1300Mhz) (overclocked running at 1866Mhz), Graphics Card GeForce Nvidia PNY 6200 (512 Meg), 2 40gig hard drives, 1 gig RAM
Dar-es-Salaam
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update Manager

Postby cecar on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am

You can try this. Open up a Terminal and put in.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get -f install

When that is done do this in terminal.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update Manager

Postby Dar-es-Salaam on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:23 am

Hi oscar

Thanks for that.

I don't have a problem as i used aptitude to do the updates and that automatically corrects broken packages. My point was that a complete newbie to linux LMDE trying it out would think that linux was a waste of time and go back to his old system ie windows etc :D
Cheers
Gordon :D

O/S. LMDE , Motherboard Asus A7N8X Delux , CPU AMD XP1500+ (1300Mhz) (overclocked running at 1866Mhz), Graphics Card GeForce Nvidia PNY 6200 (512 Meg), 2 40gig hard drives, 1 gig RAM
Dar-es-Salaam
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions