weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

Postby victorsk on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 am

Hi everyone,

I've got a kernel 3 here with Gnome 3 running which I installed from Debian's experimental repository. My question is: does anybody know how I can activate the weather applet in Gnome 3 panel? The right-click feature which usually allows you to add an applet in previous Gnome versions is not working and I cannot find gnome applets from anywhere.

Other than that, Gnome 3 is quite nice and fast.

Thanks,
Victor.
Last edited by victorsk on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3?

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:28 am

Are you using GNOME 3 with Shell? In that case get the 4th extension from this website: http://justinstories.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/five-must-have-gnome-shell-extensions-for-fedora-15/.

GNOME 3.2 will include weather applet by default: http://justinstories.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/ready-for-gnome-3-2-welcome-back-the-weather-applet/

Not sure if this will help if you are running without Shell.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby victorsk on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi,

I've got gnome-shell but it seems incomplete or something like that. I've compiled 'gnome-shell-extensions-3.0.2' and installed 'gnome-common' but there doesn't seem to be any additional features in gnome3 after I applied these operations. I also tried to directly compile gnome weather extension but there was an error in the makefile stating that the separator was missing in line 426. I checked that line actually but it seemed fine.

Bottom line is I am still unable to install gnome weather extension. My question is: does Debian have an incomplete version of gnome3? My partial answer is 'yes' since gnome3 is located in its experimental repository. But it would be great to know for sure if Debian has incomplete gnome3 so I don't spend time on unresolved issues.

Thanks,
Victor.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Postby zerozero on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Victor,
you can run gnome-shell in LMDE fine 8)
check this thread viewtopic.php?f=141&t=65745&start=120 if you have any questions about it;
if in the meantime you didn't got your weather-applet up, tomorrow evening i will check how i got mine and will post there the info;

come and join the party :lol:

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3? [SOLVED]

Postby victorsk on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi,

Don't worry, I've got my weather applet, in gnome 2 :)

Had to re-install LMDE all over because there were issues compiling gnome 3 from source. Oh well, gnome 2 works great too, in conjunction with kernel 3 it runs just as fast as gnome 3 and with fewer bugs :lol:

Thank you for looking into this, zerozero.

BTW. I could install some other distribution but I keep coming back to LMDE because it really is an awesome Debian derivative.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

Postby zerozero on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:45 am

victorsk wrote:BTW. I could install some other distribution but I keep coming back to LMDE because it really is an awesome Debian derivative.

:D so very true

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions