weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
victorsk

weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

I've got a kernel 3 here with Gnome 3 running which I installed from Debian's experimental repository. My question is: does anybody know how I can activate the weather applet in Gnome 3 panel? The right-click feature which usually allows you to add an applet in previous Gnome versions is not working and I cannot find gnome applets from anywhere.

Other than that, Gnome 3 is quite nice and fast.

Thanks,
Victor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3?

Post by xenopeek »

Are you using GNOME 3 with Shell? In that case get the 4th extension from this website: http://justinstories.wordpress.com/2011 ... fedora-15/.

GNOME 3.2 will include weather applet by default: http://justinstories.wordpress.com/2011 ... er-applet/

Not sure if this will help if you are running without Shell.
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Hi,

I've got gnome-shell but it seems incomplete or something like that. I've compiled 'gnome-shell-extensions-3.0.2' and installed 'gnome-common' but there doesn't seem to be any additional features in gnome3 after I applied these operations. I also tried to directly compile gnome weather extension but there was an error in the makefile stating that the separator was missing in line 426. I checked that line actually but it seemed fine.

Bottom line is I am still unable to install gnome weather extension. My question is: does Debian have an incomplete version of gnome3? My partial answer is 'yes' since gnome3 is located in its experimental repository. But it would be great to know for sure if Debian has incomplete gnome3 so I don't spend time on unresolved issues.

Thanks,
Victor.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Victor,
you can run gnome-shell in LMDE fine 8)
check this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=120 if you have any questions about it;
if in the meantime you didn't got your weather-applet up, tomorrow evening i will check how i got mine and will post there the info;

come and join the party :lol:
victorsk

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3? [SOLVED]

Post by victorsk »

Hi,

Don't worry, I've got my weather applet, in gnome 2 :)

Had to re-install LMDE all over because there were issues compiling gnome 3 from source. Oh well, gnome 2 works great too, in conjunction with kernel 3 it runs just as fast as gnome 3 and with fewer bugs :lol:

Thank you for looking into this, zerozero.

BTW. I could install some other distribution but I keep coming back to LMDE because it really is an awesome Debian derivative.
zerozero

Re: weather applet in GNOME 3? [Solved]

Post by zerozero »

victorsk wrote: BTW. I could install some other distribution but I keep coming back to LMDE because it really is an awesome Debian derivative.
:D so very true

Return to “LMDE Archive”