Environment Variable [ SOLVED ]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Environment Variable [ SOLVED ]

Postby Dar-es-Salaam on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi All

Its me again.

I have been trying to find out how to create a environment variable KDEDIR which points to the base installation of KDE so that I can get it to use kde-config to try and install a program ( kxstitch ) which needs it. I have read quite a lot of info about variables but get lost and don't understand it. :(

Any help would be much appreciated
Last edited by Dar-es-Salaam on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Gordon :D

O/S. LMDE , Motherboard Asus A7N8X Delux , CPU AMD XP1500+ (1300Mhz) (overclocked running at 1866Mhz), Graphics Card GeForce Nvidia PNY 6200 (512 Meg), 2 40gig hard drives, 1 gig RAM
Dar-es-Salaam
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Environment Variable

Postby Dar-es-Salaam on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 am

Hi All

Well I have managed to create the environment variable that I wanted with a lot of reading and a fair amount of guess work as to how to do it but I got there in the end. I found out that the place to put it is in /etc/profile and that you have to export it once you have created it. Having said that it doesn't work with what I want as the program seem to only work with kde3 not kde4 which is install on my pc, still never mind I have at least learnt something
:D :D
Cheers
Gordon :D

O/S. LMDE , Motherboard Asus A7N8X Delux , CPU AMD XP1500+ (1300Mhz) (overclocked running at 1866Mhz), Graphics Card GeForce Nvidia PNY 6200 (512 Meg), 2 40gig hard drives, 1 gig RAM
Dar-es-Salaam
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions