Login Screen Settings not unlocking.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Cheesethief

Login Screen Settings not unlocking.

Post by Cheesethief »

So after installing 201108 RC (Gnome), I started to tweak it to my liking one of these tweaks is to make it so it does not prompt me for a password upon startup. I am the only person who has access to this computer, so it gets a little annoying.

What I noticed is that when I go to Menu>All Applications>Admin>Login Screen, it does not unlock the window to tweak settings when I press on the padlock image.

I am running the 64bit version by the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Login Screen Settings not unlocking.

Post by xenopeek »

I can confirm the unlock button on the login screen doesn't work. Tried "gksudo gdmsetup" also to force root priviliges, same problem. Not finding any useful errors in syslog or on the terminal output.

Workaround:
1. Open a terminal (from Menu) and run:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
2. Under the section [daemon] replace the text to read the following (don't replace any lines with [something] on them):

TimedLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=<your username>
AutomaticLogin=<your username>
TimedLoginDelay=30
Replace the <your username> (including the angeled brackets) with your username. If you are unsure of that, type:

whoami
3. Save & close the file, from now on you should login automatically. (Code copied from the Live CD.)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I reported this as a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/830409. It also affects the Network and "Time and Date" administrative applications.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Yep, I suggested to Clem (I think) to remove the desktop file for gdmsetup as it's broken and probably won't be fixed as gdm3 is the 2.30 version and for GNOME 3 the 'User account' window allows to set automatic login.
People can set it by editing /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf (if it's worthwhile maybe a little GUI could be made for that).
David Brown

Post by David Brown »

I'm using the (201109-gnome-32bit) version of LMDE. Following various suggestions, I've added the suggested lines to both /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf and to /etc/gdm3/custom.conf. Neither works. With LMDE before loading the new spin, adding these lines to daemon.conf did work for me.

Opening (gksudo gdmsetup) gives a small window with an unlocked padlock but with all the commands greyed out. All that does work is the Close button.

David Brown
David Brown

Post by David Brown »

Solved for me: see
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... in#p475935
Thank you xenopeek

Return to “LMDE Archive”