Latest update, ok to remove Gnome-Core?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Aldursil

Latest update, ok to remove Gnome-Core?

Post by Aldursil »

This sounds like an important thing to keep. Is it ok to have the updater remove this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Latest update, ok to remove Gnome-Core?

Post by vrkalak »

There are way too many Other Dependancies, Apps and Stuff, integrated into and dependent on the Gnome-Core to even think about 'removing' it. :(
Aldursil

Post by Aldursil »

vrkalak wrote:There are way too many Other Dependancies, Apps and Stuff, integrated into and dependent on the Gnome-Core to even think about 'removing' it. :(
Why would the update manager then say it was going to be removed?
yaye

Post by yaye »

I just did a search for gnome-core with Synaptic. Synaptic states that gnome-core is a meta-package, and it isn't even installed on my system. As I understand, removing a meta-package just removes that package and not the other dependencies.
Aldursil

Post by Aldursil »

I DO have gnome-core installed, so having Update Manager remove it, sounds like it will break my system.

Synaptic does not call for this to be removed. Does anyone know why there are differences between Synaptic and Update Manager and what they say they are going to update or remove?

Should I not use Update Manager and only use Synaptic?

Thanks
yaye

Post by yaye »

Aldursil wrote:I DO have gnome-core installed, so having Update Manager remove it, sounds like it will break my system.
Since I didn't manually remove it, gnome-core must have been removed during an update. Gnome-core is a meta-package. It doesn't contain any software. It contains a list of packages (nautilus file manager, gedit, etc.) to be installed. After those packages are installed, the gnome-core package can be removed. The packages it caused to be installed (dependencies), won't be removed when gnome-core is removed. Even with the gnome-core package removed, as new versions of the packages it caused to be installed are released, the update manager should notify me that updates are available.

If in doubt, keep it. It's a small file and there shouldn't be any harm in keeping it.

By the way, are you tracking Testing, Incoming or Latest?
dbkblk

Post by dbkblk »

I remember that seahorse-plugins break gnome-core since UP3. I don't know if you use it but i did, and now i had to remove it and use gpg from commandline. This is due to the many gnome 3.0 parts that are slowly coming to debian repos (afaik seahorse is upgraded to 3.0)!
yaye

Post by yaye »

Synaptic states that the seahorse-plugins package is not installed on my system.
Aldursil

Post by Aldursil »

yaye wrote:
Aldursil wrote: By the way, are you tracking Testing, Incoming or Latest?
How do you tell?
Aldursil

Post by Aldursil »

Found it. I am tracking Testing.
yaye

Post by yaye »

I was tracking Testing but I'm busy these days and needed more stability, so I switched to Incoming. Testing gets more frequent updates than Incoming, but is also more likely to break.
Stanie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stanie »

Aldursil wrote:I DO have gnome-core installed, so having Update Manager remove it, sounds like it will break my system.

Synaptic does not call for this to be removed. Does anyone know why there are differences between Synaptic and Update Manager and what they say they are going to update or remove?

Should I not use Update Manager and only use Synaptic?

Thanks
You can safely remove it (gnome-core isn't even installed in the new LMDE RC, so don't worry). I did the same when I had LMDE 1/2011 on my notebook. It will uninstall following dependencies (if I remember them correctly): desktop-base, epiphany-browser, epiphany-browser-data, evolution, evolution-common, evolution-plugins, evolution-webcal and gnome-themes-standard (and maybe even libgtkimageview0 but this one is good to install back afterwards!) either together with the removal of gnome-core or after sudo apt-get autoremove. If you want to use epiphany and/or evolution, you can always install them back manually without this metapackage...
Or you can wait a few days (well maybe even hours) if you plan to install the new LMDE 9/2011 - then you won't have to deal with this problem :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”