Does LMDE 3 have proprietry drivers like Mint 11?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PurpleMelbourne

Does LMDE 3 have proprietry drivers like Mint 11?

Post by PurpleMelbourne »

Hello all,

Well the header mostly says it. On Mint 11 you have the ATI and Nvidia drivers present but you have to activate them.

Does the new version 3 of Mind Debian also have these drivers present ready to use if you choose to "activate" them without going to a lot of drama of installing them from an online source?

If so then how do you activate them? :)

Greg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Does LMDE 3 have proprietry drivers like Mint 11?

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum

The "3" refers to Update Pack 3, it's still just called "LMDE".
There are driver packages available in Synaptic Package Manager for NVIDIA and ATI cards.
If you have an NVIDIA card, I suggest this guide
PurpleMelbourne

Post by PurpleMelbourne »

So is that a "no, it still does not have these built in?" :(

I have the ATI drivers currently installed and remember it was painful to go through the process. On Mint 11 it was easy. I saw with the update pack that you point the repository to a Media server so wondered if the Minty gods have got some wonderful video stuff working like drivers on the seemingly older Ubuntu version. Built in video drivers (so I can play windows games with WINE!) sounds pretty important to me. :)

Thanks for the link :)
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

With Linux Mint 11, one can use Hardware Drivers to easily install proprietary drivers - these drivers are still located in the repositories and are installable through Package Manager.

LMDE does not have the Hardware Drivers utility, but the drivers should still be available in the Package Manager.

Return to “LMDE Archive”