experimenting with LMDE found a problem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
truexfan81

experimenting with LMDE found a problem

Post by truexfan81 »

ok on a seperate hdd i'm experimenting with LMDE gnome x64 edition. the whole time i'm running the live dvd, i keep hearing this beep sound from the internal speaker, during the shutdown process it reports several L2 cache errors. I do not have this problem with mint 9, leads me to believe its a driver issue. Ok after a successful install i cannot install updates, it lets me install the updated update manager, but when i try to install the other updates, the update manager just crashes. Whats going on? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: experimenting with LMDE found a problem

Post by AlbertP »

When there's an update to the update manager available, you indeed need to install that update before other updates will install.

L2 cache errors may mean that your CPU isn't working right. You can test the memory using the memory test in the boot menu. But I'm not fully sure that it tests the CPU caches as well. Do you know what CPU your computer has?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

AlbertP wrote:When there's an update to the update manager available, you indeed need to install that update before other updates will install.

L2 cache errors may mean that your CPU isn't working right. You can test the memory using the memory test in the boot menu. But I'm not fully sure that it tests the CPU caches as well. Do you know what CPU your computer has?
read the post again please, i did install the update for the update manager, after that is when the the thing started crashing.

and i do not get any L2 cache errors when running my primary OS Mint 9 main x64, so i believe it is a driver issue with LMDE. my cpu is a athlon2 x2 245 2.9Ghz

mobo is a MSI k9n6pgm2-v
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

for the updates, everytime there's an error from where one can't find a way out my experience shown me that

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
will help at least to diagnose the problem and eventually solve it;

for the other issue, not sure, but let's start with

uname -a
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

zerozero wrote:for the updates, everytime there's an error from where one can't find a way out my experience shown me that

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
will help at least to diagnose the problem and eventually solve it;

for the other issue, not sure, but let's start with

uname -a
ok decided to work on this one problem at a time, ok i got it updating using sudo apt-get upgrade, i notice during the unpacking of some of the updates the terminal reports the L2 cache error, and beeps the internal speaker, again i only have this problem when running LMDE. The primary os mint 9 does not report any errors and does not beep the internal speaker. will run that other command when the update finishes

edit:
uname -a Linux lmde 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Is there any BIOS update for your computer available?

The built-in speaker is not used by Linux Mint by default. So Mint cannot have made those beeps. Perhaps it's a BIOS issue.

There are often BIOS issues which only appear with certain operating systems or versions. A good example are the ASPM power problems of the 2.6.38+ kernel.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

AlbertP wrote:Is there any BIOS update for your computer available?

The built-in speaker is not used by Linux Mint by default. So Mint cannot have made those beeps. Perhaps it's a BIOS issue.

There are often BIOS issues which only appear with certain operating systems or versions. A good example are the ASPM power problems of the 2.6.38+ kernel.
i'm sure there are bios updates available, however until i have to the money to buy a UPS, bios updates are a bit too risky as often as the power goes out here. At this point i think my only option is to avoid LMDE until then. I appreciate the advice, whenever i get a ups, i will do the bios update and report back. Until then, i'm just going to stick with dual booting mint 9 and win 7, mainly mint 9 :D

Thanks again

Return to “LMDE Archive”