Partitioning info

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
oldcat

Partitioning info

Post by oldcat »

I have an installation disc of LMDE 201101 which I want to install on a spare desktop with a 140GB hard drive and 1.5GB of RAM. I want to use the entire drive for the installation. I think I have figured out how to use GParted but I am uncertain how many partitions I need and what size to make them.

Does these specs look OK?
/swap, 1.5GB, primary.
/root, 40 GB, extended.
/home, remainer, extended.

I don't need a boot partition, do I? Remember, I'm not at all sure I know what I am doing.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Partitioning info

Post by zerozero »

whatever the option you take regarding partitioning (and imho you don't need the boot partition) DON'T install that iso: you are going to face way too many issues trying to bring it up to date, eventually you won't manage to do so;
D/l the new 201109 respin and start from there http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818
oldcat

Post by oldcat »

Thanks for the warning. I've had that 201101 disc for some time and never tried to use it. I have the 201109 disc on order from OSdisc.com and will install that one when it arrives.

I have read that LMDE is a little quirky to install and I was just trying it out. My first hurdle is to get past the partitioning. If I can get that down, I will install 201109 when I get it and go on from there.

Thanks for the help.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Since I've never even used lmde yet myself. Didna want to post, was going to +1 what ZZ said. That iso you had ready to install guessing must be from 01 ( Jan ) of 2011 ... thus the 201101. Thought yep ... the updates and issues that would hit this person would probably not be much fun. Curious why you're ordering a new iso disc though ? From whom ? I mean if its LM themselves then no worries. Sure they deserve/appreciate the donation. If its from somebody else who doesn't give a cent of it to LM. Why not just download it and burn the iso yourself ? Shrugs.

Partitioning far as I can tell can be each users preferences. Hopefully with some basic common sense thrown into the mix as to how they go about it. Mentioned haven't tried it, but from what I've seen in these forums. LM Debian stuff is an undertaking where keeping a separate /home partition makes sense to me or would be a good precaution. Also in case ya haven't ... might want to read what's said on the lmde download page. If you're having major issues figuring out how to use gparted and things like partitioning. Then guessing you might want to rethink lmde. Assuming it isn't the best or most nix newb friendly software for people to get started with.

Not going to throw my 2 cents in on what you've elected in terms of partitioning. Not trying to be an ahole ... but not trying to reinvent the wheel either. Partitioning with gnu/linux ... and most likely in the lmde section of these forums too, has already been discussed, then discussed again, then discussed to death another 10 million times for good measure online. Either way though ... hope ya have an enjoyable experience with gnu/nix. However ya decide to go about it.
oldcat

Post by oldcat »

Hello imintnewb, thanks for the response.

As for the install disc, my internet service provider is Hughes.net and my daily download bandwidth is 350MB. The ISO for LMDE is about two and a half times that. So, I ordered the live DVD from OSdisc.com for $5.95 plus s/h. Just seemed more convenient to do it that way.

I've used Linux Mint for years and really like it. I'm using Mint 11 on another desktop. The OS does what I want it to do and does it well. I like Mint 11 much better than I like Windows 7, and that is no reflection on Windows. Mint just doesn't have the bloat that Windows has. But I am getting a bit anxious about where Mint is going. I don't like where Ubuntu is going at all!!

I just thought I'd familiarize myself with LMDE in case Mint 12 takes off into the wild blue yonder as Ubuntu seems to have done.

Sorry if I'm being redundant. But Mint has such an easy partitioning process and GParted is a little more involved. I'm not really confident about using primary and extended partitions.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hmmm ... More random thoughts then and perhaps a tip.

1. Public hotspot(s) ... your town/city has a public library ... yes ? Many have free wifi there. Or stuff like starbucks ... mcdonalds ... so forth. Though probably doesn't help much if ya talking about a desktop pc. Was just thinking LM probably sells discs too. Though not like it's mandatory anyone give them anything. One of the many amazing things about opensource software. People invest all the time and energy into something and then give it away ... which is awesome imo. :D

(afterthought) If someone has access to another computer. Obviously they can download and make the boot disc with it and install it later on any PC they like. Though get your drift too, easier to pay a couple bucks ( hopefully to the people who make the software ... but whatever.) Just pointing it out for prosperity.

2. With such a serious limit on allowed bandwidth. You realize that the LM rolling release is likely to have more than a tad of MB's worth of updates that need to be installed too ? Only a heads up ... mentioned haven't tried lmde. So don't know how many updates, how often or what kind of bandwidth is involved.

( nother afterthought) A bunch of these wireless broadband companies have a pretty good racket going me thinks. License for legal highway robbery ... At $10 a gig sometimes, think that's insane for people w that kinda data plan or connection. Though know in some areas folks don't really have much choice. It's satelite/mobile broadband ORRRR dial up. Lol ... once someone gets used to highspeed internet connections, 56k dial up makes em wanna throw themselves or their computer out the nearest window. :D

Remember also with many satelite broadband plans, there are often times when it's unlimited. Usually LATE at night though. Perhaps cron or anacron can become your friends ? People can also download updates somewhere else and then install em on their PC. Looking around the forums ... should be able to find the how to's n etc involved. Though seems like a PITA to me.

3. Think gparted is the partitioning tool included in the LM installers. So if you've done any partitioning yourself. Rather than letting the installer do everything, then you've used gparted already. Once again, not to come off aholish. Still assuming its a bad sign if someone knows so little about gparted/partitioning ... etc. As to how good an experience they'll likely have with LM's Debian based software. Then again ... who knows, ya might love it and have nothing but fun or whatever, shrugs. ;) Guess ya won't know ... until ya try.

(last afterthought) These are just my babblings about junk. That may ( or may not ) be useful to anyone. Hopefully proves helpful to someone, as I really like Linux and like people having a good experience and time using gnu/Linux software.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

oldcat,
rereading your posts i would highlight 2 parts and advise some "home-work" before go with LMDE:
But Mint has such an easy partitioning process and GParted is a little more involved. I'm not really confident about using primary and extended partitions.
LMDE's installer lacks this ease-of-use, you need to set the partitions first (before start the installer) and then, yes, do the installation; for that you should get familiar with the ins and outs of gparted (not hard really), any howto in youtube will give you a pretty good idea;
my daily download bandwidth is 350MB
this could be more problematic than the above; with the update method used in LMDE you get a much more stable system, but you get as well the updates in packs (and any of the 3 until now were over that 350MB limit); unless you can follow lmintnewb's idea about public hotspots, it's hard to keep LMDE updated with that bandwidth limit.

Return to “LMDE Archive”