hide extra/inactive icons

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
StewArt

hide extra/inactive icons

Post by StewArt »

In Windows you can hide inactive system tray icons, as well as set which icons should be always shown or hidden. Is there something similar in Mint/Gnome so I can keep my panel a little cleaner but still have ready access to the icons? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: hide extra/inactive icons

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know of a way; usually it is in the application itself that you can set in the preferences whether to show the icon or not.

One way you could go about this, is create another panel (at the top of the screen for example), unlock and then move all the status icons to that panel, and set that panel to auto-hide. Just hover your mouse at the top of the screen to show the status icons. Not perfect, I know :wink:
StewArt

Post by StewArt »

Thanks for the idea. I thought about it, but thankfully I found I could put the icons in a "pop out drawer", which gives me roughly the same functionality as Windows, so I'm set.

edit: okay, actually... I didn't find a good way to just move them in there from the same panel, since it just wanted to keep switching places with the drawer instead of going in the drawer. (Is that a bug, a quirk, or a feature? :) ) I made a new panel, moved the icons to that panel, then moved them back into the drawer on the first panel. Anyway, they did go in the drawer, but...

Is there a way to break up these icons and/or rearrange them? They all seem to move together.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The indicator icons, yes, they all move together.

Return to “LMDE Archive”