GNOME question

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LongNightOfSolace

GNOME question

Post by LongNightOfSolace »

will LMDE keep gnome 2.32?
I hope.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: GNOME question

Post by xenopeek »

Not forever; as Debian Testing moves to GNOME 3, so will LMDE. But Debian supports multiple DEs, so possibly they will also offer MATE later (a fork of latest GNOME 2, with developer behind the form having intention of developing it further).
LongNightOfSolace

I really don't like gnome 3 - shell.
karashata

Post by karashata »

The simple answer is: No.

The more expansive answer is: No, Debian testing is already using GNOME 3.0 and work is progressing to bring GNOME 3.2 into experimental. From what I've read on various forum threads, it looks like the plan is to wait until GNOME 3.2 enters testing before issuing the next LMDE update pack (for those using them rather than using Debian sources directly), and there are plans to also port MATE (the GNOME 2 fork) and the MGSE packages from Lisa to LMDE at that time. So, once that happens, if you still wish to use GNOME 2.32, you'll instead have to use MATE.
VanR

Post by VanR »

You can test it if you download and run live the ZevenOS Neptune with MATE. I tried it last night and it's pretty cool.

http://www.zevenos.com/download/zevenos-neptune-2

scroll to the bottom of the page for download.
LongNightOfSolace

@karashata I have no problem using MATE when it gets ported.
after all its just like gnome 2.

Return to “LMDE Archive”