New Wallpaper with how to

Show the wallpapers you made
Forum rules
No support questions here please

New Wallpaper with how to

Postby samriggs on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

I thought some might be interested in this one so I'm telling how I did (pretty simple method actually)
I did a new install so it gave me an excuse to recreate everything, (mdm theme, cinnamon + gtk/metacity all of which I still have to create)and an icon theme package once done all the rest.
I usually do the wallpaper first then make everything else to match it, but this I matched up the icons on the left and the two desklets I added on the right, so the wallpaper matches them and includes them into the wallpaper so it looks like it's one piece. Mind you this makes your wallpaper a one off that will only fit your desktop unless someone else matches everything up exactly and the screen resolution is the same.
Here's how it looks (wallpaper only finished so far).
samsnewwallpaper.jpg

Now the how to do this.
Place all your icons where you want them to go (I plan on only having one column) and all your desklets or conky where you want that to go, take a screen shot of it (full size) then bring it into gimp so you can use that to measure out your wallpaper accordingly (pretty simple :D )

To show you here's a screenshot in gimpers
gimpers.jpg

this makes it quick and simple to line up your desktop's addons to make a wallpaper that can use everything on it and incorporate it into the wallpaper itself.
Save the gimp file in case you ever want to change things so it should only take a few minutes to move stuff around as long as the layers remain separated (no merging)
Hope it helps someone out trying to create that one of a kind desktop :)

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
SolydK
samriggs
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New Wallpaper with how to

Postby JosephM on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 am

Nice job. Looks good. Are you planning on actually creating new gtk and metacity themes to match? Working on some right now and it is a lot of work. Partly because it's my first and am still learning my way around.

If I could make one suggestion? Maybe post slightly larger screenshots. Even after clicking the links to the images they are pretty small.
JosephM
Level 3
Level 3

Postby samriggs on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:10 am

JosephM wrote:Nice job. Looks good. Are you planning on actually creating new gtk and metacity themes to match? Working on some right now and it is a lot of work. Partly because it's my first and am still learning my way around.

If I could make one suggestion? Maybe post slightly larger screenshots. Even after clicking the links to the images they are pretty small.

Hello JodephM
and thanks, and yup I'll be making a cinnamon, gtk and metacity theme to match it plus a animated mdm theme and maybe even change the plymouth screen to match it also, this is a personal project for my own computer, I might let a gimp file go of the wallpaper (without my logo and name and debian logo) so others can create their own from the base itself but will have to resize it to fit their own needs (I did this before with other ones).
the cinnamon, gtk and metacity theme will be packaged together and put on the site for everyone to download once it's completed and the mdm animated one will be on my deviantart site, so it can be downloaded from their with the rest of the mdm themes I already made.
The screenshots are small to save save on the server, it's just to show basically how to set up a wallpaper with desklets and icons and make it look like it's all one piece that works together, most wallpapers are just images with whatever plastered on top of the desktop where ever, I wanted to make it all work together as one piece this time around.
I like this method better but the only drawback is they have to be custom made to each desktop, but I think it works better then just a background image with desklets and icons or conky shoved on top.
Just a thought to share the idea in case anyone else wanted to see how it's done and something they might not of thought of before and might want to try :D
When I get the themes done I'll be posting bigger images.
and yup themes are a bit of work but I made quite a few and have pretty much made so many I can use quite a few as templates now and just make a few changes and the artwork of course, but cinnamon needs to be made from scratch to fit the new release 18.8 same with the added features to nemo now (which isn't really much changes in that department to gtk at all, just a few extras. I have made enough metacity that I can pretty much just change the artwork and it'll be done but I have a new idea for this one so I might have to rewrite the xml for this one also now :lol:
The animated mdm one I started awhile back and just never got around to finishing it yet here's a small screenshot of the mdm for it.
screenshot.jpg

the big planet will be rotating, there will be asteroids and spaceships wizzing by with some framework and designs that are going to be in the hteme and wallpaper added to match it all up.
The whole thing is going to be called DarkNebula once done.
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
SolydK
samriggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JosephM on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:05 pm

I understand where you are coming from with the custom wallpaper. I have done that in the past and you can create some really cool setups. Your personal tastes for the look of your desktop differ from my own but I respect the work I have seen you do.

I have done some themes in the past. Usually I just get them to the point where they work for me and call it good. In fact my last couple of Cinnamon themes have required making tweaks to the code of some of my favorite applets so they would size properly to my panels. This time I set myself a goal to create a complete theme that is actually suitable for sharing and use by others. Still need to try my hands at some kind of MDM theme. I actually like the style of Ubuntu's default greeter.

Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
JosephM
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Wallpapers