Linux Mint: Re-Imagined

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jernau

Re: Linux Mint: Re-Imagined

Post by Jernau »

Thanks again for all the nice comments - you guys really know how to make someone feel appreciated. :D
knuckles wrote:But all the Wallpapers are for widescreen, can you post them perhaps to in Normal-Screen??
I haven't used Linux Mint on a normal aspect-ratio screen, but I was under the impression that the various options in the 'Desktop Background' dialog, such as 'Center' and 'Zoom', would give the desired result. Is that not the case? Does the logo become distorted?
akaNed wrote:I made an SVG of the new logo.
Thanks, you've done a great job. :)
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

sputty01 wrote:I do like the new logo idea, i cant quite decide yet if i prefer it over the current one but its a damn good shot!
Thanks. :)
sputty01 wrote:I do think the wallpapers are a tad on the basic side, if a light flare was added behind the new logo (the same as on carbon) then i think id prefer it. ...i dont mean to be critical of it, im just being REALLY picky here :P
I totally understand what you mean, but in my defence I was especially shooting for 'clean, simple and elegant' as part of the design concept for these initial wallpapers. The aim was purely to display the logo, without too many other distractions, so that people could decide if they liked it more than the current official logo. Thanks for your feedback though, I appreciate it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

People are making very good use of this style of logo. I see some very attractive wallpapers being designed with it. The logo has a very clean look and it's not, in your face so to speak. The logo definitely says elegance. The logo has a crisp, clean style and I look forward to seeing more wallpapers making use of it.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

sputty01 wrote:I do think the wallpapers are a tad on the basic side, if a light flare was added behind the new logo (the same as on carbon) then i think id prefer it. ...i dont mean to be critical of it, im just being REALLY picky here :P
I think a subtle flair would be nice, but I really like the simplicity of these. And being critical is what pushes us all to create better artwork.
sputty01 wrote:Oh and props to akaNed for the svg! bravo :D
Thank you :wink: I hope it's useful to someone.

Michael
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
tawan

Post by tawan »

the one you called "syslinux-splash:" would be the one I would like to see as a desktop. You have made a desktop similar to syslinux-splash but the bar at the bottom spoils it for me. (sorry, it's only a minor point).

All nice, very good stuff! :)
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

phonicboom wrote:the one you called "syslinux-splash:" would be the one I would like to see as a desktop. You have made a desktop similar to syslinux-splash but the bar at the bottom spoils it for me. (sorry, it's only a minor point).
Feel free to make your own wallpaper using the new logo - that's the beauty of the Creative Commons license. :D
phonicboom wrote:All nice, very good stuff! :)
Thanks. :)
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

A new wallpaper:

[image lead to deviantART page; once there click 'download' to get full resolution]

This one hopefully shows that the logo also works black-on-white.

Two million blades; all of them pointing to the fact that the grass definitely is greener on the Linux Mint side... ;)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Nice! Nice minty look and feel.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Love the graphite button - more professional looking than the current - IMHO
This with a progress bar in green below "elegance" line would make a great start up for Felicia.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Jernau wrote:Two million blades; all of them pointing to the fact that the grass definitely is greener on the Linux Mint side... ;)
Is certainly is :) Great work again :)
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Thanks. :D
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

sputty01 wrote:Very nice as always Jernau, its great to see that the art as a whole on these forums is getting a far more professional feel, especially with your new logo!
Thanks sputty01. :)

It will be interesting to hear what Clem has to say about the new logo. My guess is that when Clem asked for proposals for Mint 6, it was just a cohesive theme he was looking for and not a new logo... but we shall see. ;)
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Linux Mint Balls:

[image leads to deviantART page; once there click 'download' to get full resolution]
Last edited by Jernau on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tawan

Post by tawan »

Jernau wrote:Linux Mint Balls:
very cool! :D

(balls to you too)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Jernau wrote:Linux Mint Balls
Cool!
The only minor gripe I have with this is that the leaf on the ball "front and center" feels a little off somehow,
I can't really put my finger on it, but it's something that draws my attention to it all the time.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
tawan

Post by tawan »

Zwopper wrote: Cool!
The only minor gripe I have with this is that the leaf on the ball "front and center" feels a little off somehow,
I can't really put my finger on it, but it's something that draws my attention to it all the time.
it looks to have been added. the leaf on that ball would have been 3d, glowing and blurred like the other balls. the one added (i guess for sharpness) does not curve around the ball.

It's lovely though.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Zwopper wrote:The only minor gripe I have with this is that the leaf on the ball "front and center" feels a little off somehow,
You're absolutely right, I noticed the same thing as soon as the rendering had finished. However, the rendering time for this scene is pretty long, so I knew I wouldn't have time last night to adjust the scene and re-render. I figured I would post it in its current state so people could comment and then I could take a second stab at it tonight.
phonicboom wrote:it looks to have been added. the leaf on that ball would have been 3d, glowing and blurred like the other balls. the one added (i guess for sharpness) does not curve around the ball.
Actually, what you're seeing is straight out of the renderer - I didn't do any post-processing (apart from adding the logo). The angle of the camera and the position of the front leaf makes it look flat, but it's 3D like the others. The reason the front ball is sharp is because that's where I 'focused' the camera, the rest are blurry due to the Depth of Field effect I applied. I think I'll dial down this effect a little when I render the scene again tonight.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I made a couple of edits and re-rendered Linux Mint Balls...

[Jump to post showing edited version]
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Looks more integrated now, but how about moving the center leaf up about a centimeter or so... :?: :idea:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
sarahmarienc2

Post by sarahmarienc2 »

These are all amazing! I love the new logo! BEAUTIFUL, elegant, simple, but oh so classy. And the wallpapers are great too. Nothing but compliments here. I hope to see a few of these on LM 6 official release :)

Return to “Your Artwork”