Gloria wallpaper

Show the wallpapers you made
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Re: Gloria wallpaper

Postby dlkreations on Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 am

Here are 2 previews of the GDM theme based on Zwoppers wallpaper. One has the original buttons for shutdown, restart and suspend. The other has buttons of mine.

Let me know what you think, and if response is good, I'll get them sent to whoever needs them.

Somehow though, I think that something needs to be changed, it doesn't look right. Could be the green part where you input your name and password or something.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Zwopper on Wed May 06, 2009 2:03 am

Send it to Clem, so he can decide which one he wants.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sarahmarienc on Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 am

Zwopper,

I'm running Gloria on Live CD and I just have to say that I love your wallpaper as default. It's such a nice difference from all the dark ones in the past. It looks great!
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

cool I like the new gdm version!
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby exploder on Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm

dlkreations, is there a normal and wide screen version? Both gdm themes look nice to me, big improvement over the original!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby dlkreations on Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Yes there are both. Just need a place to send them.

By the way, DLKreations is just my handle. People can call me Don.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby pluraldave on Wed May 06, 2009 1:42 pm

dlkreations wrote:Somehow though, I think that something needs to be changed, it doesn't look right. Could be the green part where you input your name and password or something.

I assume it's mostly one big image? Try making the green part slightly transparent to see if it "sits" better. I made/borrowed/robbed a quite similar lockscreen that needed the same trick.

Also perhaps the mint logo is too dominant. It might look better if it was smaller and/or in a slightly different position. (Or perhaps use the "normal" logo with the name instead?)
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dlkreations on Wed May 06, 2009 2:07 pm

No it's not one big image. There are seven different parts to it that make up the whole. Frankly I think that text box is too dominant, and takes away from the theme altogether. To me it sticks out like a sore thumb. Either more transparent like you suggested, or a darker color like the surrounding main box would look good. I am however just changing what I was asked, because the others get the final say.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dlkreations on Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 pm

To show you what I mean, here is one with a more transparent text box.... don't mind the logo in the background though. It doesn't look like that when at the login screen:

- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby sarahmarienc on Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

dlkreations wrote:To show you what I mean, here is one with a more transparent text box.... don't mind the logo in the background though. It doesn't look like that when at the login screen:

Don,

I do think you are right that the text box needs something. It does look better transparent but I still think it could be better. This is exciting though :) Look forward to seeing the final version in Mint 7
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dlkreations on Wed May 06, 2009 4:03 pm

sarahmarienc wrote:
Don,

I do think you are right that the text box needs something. It does look better transparent but I still think it could be better. This is exciting though :) Look forward to seeing the final version in Mint 7

Yes, I think so too. It's just not what I would like to see as the default GDM. This is in no way attacking Zwoppers artwork, it's just the rest of it that's the problem.

I have been working on one myself, that is minimal, but works (at least for me). Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24840&p=148357#p148357
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby A.Tim on Wed May 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Your buttons fit much better.
A.Tim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kanishka on Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 am

Yeah, your buttons are much better.
Also the text box, as you say, stands out too much; it's thick, big, and in a different green than the background. I would opt for something more slick, less intrusive.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby pluraldave on Thu May 07, 2009 6:02 am

I think the main problem is that while Zwopper's Mint Dew wallpaper looks great as a wallpaper it doesn't quite work as a GDM. Also I don't like the fact that the main background and the "login box" have the same background. IMO either have one large background with the login parts on it (like the LM6 one) or clearly differentiate them.

In fact what about something like this?

I'm not even sure if I like the Dew background left as green...
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shane on Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 am

I like pluraldave's interpretation... What if the dark background from the old wallpaper was replaced with the transparent drops layer from the Zwopper's wallpaper on plain black or dark gray background... keeping the dark text entry box.

Pluraldave, if you can upload your source file, I can do what I'm saying... a picture is worth a thousand words.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Zwopper on Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 am

shane - That sounds like a great idea.
I like pluraldaves work as well, but with your ideas it should be even better.
You can even put a couple of backlights in a diamond shape behind the box.
Kind of the lights that are behind "the block" in this wallpaper if you see what I mean.
Good thinking shane! 8)
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby pluraldave on Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am

shane wrote:I like pluraldave's interpretation... What if the dark background from the old wallpaper was replaced with the transparent drops layer from the Zwopper's wallpaper on plain black or dark gray background... keeping the dark text entry box.

Pluraldave, if you can upload your source file, I can do what I'm saying... a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think I know what you want but here's the "source" (5 minute GIMP edit of Don's .png) for you.

http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,20090507133044,gdm_mod.xcf.html

It should be pretty easy to swap the central part, just cover up the bottom layer with whichever background you want.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shane on Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 am

shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Zwopper on Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 am

shane wrote:Something like this...

The source: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... d.xcf.html

REALLY nice! :D
The only thing would wanna change is the icon in the top left of the box, a small mint logo(green or b/w) here would look much better imo. :oops:
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby dlkreations on Thu May 07, 2009 11:13 am

Wow, I like Dave's and Shane's version quite a bit. Nice work guys!
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Wallpapers