LMDE Update Pack 7 - when?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dezo

LMDE Update Pack 7 - when?

Post by dezo »

Hei guys!
When is the Update Pack 7 for LMDE planned? Look for the new Mate 1.6! :)

Thanks!
killer de bug

Re: LMDE Update Pack 7 - when?

Post by killer de bug »

You will have to wait at least one month. Don't expect it until Linux Mint 15 XFCE and KDE are released...
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Wish I could wait that long, had to switch some sources to Debian Wheezy in order to get my printer driver installed. Also, why can't we have more theme choices than Mint-x and Mint-z by default. I am sure someone loves the metal look with no contrast, but with my bifocals it is just plain hard to read anything. Mate 1.6 has many more theme options if they are left available in the next Update Pack. Too bad LMDE is the last to get any attention from Linux Mint. Wouldn't touch an Ubuntu based distro with a ten foot pole. You never know what they are going to do next. And, when you figure it out, you have start over again in a few months. Hoping that the next Update Pack at least brings LMDE in sync with Wheezy, and updates Mate to 1.6.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

laofzu wrote:Wish I could wait that long, had to switch some sources to Debian Wheezy in order to get my printer driver installed. Also, why can't we have more theme choices than Mint-x and Mint-z by default. I am sure someone loves the metal look with no contrast, but with my bifocals it is just plain hard to read anything. Mate 1.6 has many more theme options if they are left available in the next Update Pack. Too bad LMDE is the last to get any attention from Linux Mint. Wouldn't touch an Ubuntu based distro with a ten foot pole. You never know what they are going to do next. And, when you figure it out, you have start over again in a few months. Hoping that the next Update Pack at least brings LMDE in sync with Wheezy, and updates Mate to 1.6.
I am sure since LMDE is based on Debian Testing it would bring it in sync with Jessy not wheezy, you can get Mate 1.6 by following instructions at[url]http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian_jessie[/url] then edit your /etc/apt/preferences per instructions minus Ubuntu pin at [url]http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#latest_mate_releases[/url]
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Eventually it will be, but at the moment LMDE latest is behind Wheezy. Installing Mate 1.6 while possible is a bit of bother, and doesn't work well with LMDE modifications made to Mate 1.4 and Debian. Tried it already with little success or satisfaction.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

LMDE is actually at the same level than Wheezy because the last UP was released during the freeze. So Wheezy should not be newer than LMDE.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

LMDE is getting seriously outdated now , so I'm quite surprised no update pack has been announced yet, especially since UP6 was released about half year ago (not counting ISOs).
For example kernel 3.2 (1,5yr old!) and fglrx 12.6 (compared to 3.9 and 13.4 in current testing).
Wheezy was released almost 2 months ago, and on my machine, 800MB+ packages must be updated compared to current jessie, and that means HUGE update.

It's getting increasingly difficult to use debian testing repositories (that should be in theory 100% compatible), for example WINE from liquorix repo requires glibc 2.17 from jessie and won't update anymore.

But that said, as always I'm a bit concerned about update, especially huge update. Having played a bit with current testing I found strange compiz unstability and some other minor issues.
Maybe I've done something wrong, but it's hard to update 800MB and not mess anything I guess. On top of that, afaik MATE 1.6 doesn't work well with compiz and I don't know if it will, so I wouldn't recommend to update it yet.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

sobrus wrote:Having played a bit with current testing I found strange compiz unstability and some other minor issues.
Well, then why wonder? :)
The devs first need a lucky moment when Testing doesn't have many major issues, so it can be frozen and used as a base for the new UP. (That's why the initial idea of having a new UP every month was bound to fail.)

Moreover, KDE and XFCE editions aren't released yet (only the RCs are). LMDE has the lowest priority.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I believe it isn't the case. solydXK have same UP system with LMDE and they got updated regularly every month. it might related with unfinished gnome 3.8 and cinnamon 1.8. even though cinnamon 1.8 have less dependencies from gnome, there are several part still taken from gnome. on other hand, solydXK doesn't need any gnome package. they even build their own xfce. they could create UP as frequent as they want.

anyway, I suppose new UP will ready when gnome 3.8 arrived on testing.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Monsta, maybe you're right - If it ain't broken don't fix it ;) Yes I love Debian Wheezy stability, but sticking with old software isn't a solution too, even if it works. And LMDE unfortunately seems to be slowing down.

Even if UP7 was announced today, it would probably take at least 1-2 months to release it. Or more. So we won't see anything newer than Linux 3.2 (seen in Maya 13) in ISO until at least Christmas and Mint 16. And probably it won't be announced today.

It's a pity LMDE receives so little attention, it feels almost like using unsupported system, receiving only Firefox updates :( Is LMDE really so unpopular? There is 53k posts in LMDE forum, but only 8k and 15k for main Xfce and KDE respectively. And still they have higher priority?

If there are some reasons why UP is delayed (gnome 3.8, cinnamon 2.0 etc) it would be nice to announce it too. Even though Olivia is still new and shiny I already know that Mint 16 will be "Petra", yet I know nothing about UP7 half a year after UP6. Last posts here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=187 are from January. LMDE can be dead ;)

Not to mention we have "Incoming" and even "Romeo" repositories, don't we?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kurotsugi wrote:solydXK have same UP system with LMDE and they got updated regularly every month.
Interesting. Is there a description for that?
And how's the stability there - compared to LMDE?
sobrus wrote:Is LMDE really so unpopular? There is 53k posts in LMDE forum, but only 8k and 15k for main Xfce and KDE respectively. And still they have higher priority?
Well, the main edition is the main edition... :) And the counter of posts mostly means the counter of problems: these forums are mainly for support, and the users whose system works fine usually don't write much.

I think LMDE needs a separate team. There's only so much a single team can do when there's a lot of work. New Mint software gets born (or forked from Gnome family) several times a year. Just look at how many repos are here: https://github.com/linuxmint/
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you can see their update packs for production release here http://forums.solydxk.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=b27b6b07d3d0418e99a409b32a261a80 aside from it there are also tesing release which serve same purpose as LMDE's incoming release. since they're using same package base with the one in LMDE, the stability is overall same. however, they have improve update tool and several another solydxk tools. they could easily do it since they have a team focused on the solydxk team.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

I know SolydX, as I still use unofficial LMDE Xfce on my home server :)

But as MATE or Cinnamon user, I realy don't want to go anywhere from here. I feel that Clem and Mint team understand my desktop needs and think in similar way. I ain't no GNOME Shell, Unity or KDE user either.

I agree 100% that LMDE should have dedicated team, but of course I do understand that teams don't grow on trees and It won't be easy to build one.

I don't think that xfce or KDE are vastly more popular than LMDE (all desktops combined). Of course I can be wrong, but If I wanted KDE, I'd probably go for SolydXK or SUSE.

And if users have many problems, they also need very good support, with more updates and fixes than one per year or something like that.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kurotsugi wrote:since they're using same package base with the one in LMDE, the stability is overall same.
If by "package base" you mean Debian Testing, then it's not the base that matters, it's the frequency of taking the snapshots that does.

The number of [url=http://debian.solydxk.com/production/update-pack.html]issues and workarounds[/url] in SolydXK's Update Packs made me wonder: is that what you guys really wished when you talked about releasing UP every month? Or you didn't think about that side effect? :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

we are clearly going wayyyy off-topic here
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Well... maybe a separate thread for the discussion?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

a distro vs distro topic is always tricky, more so in lmde and solydxk's situation that share some in common but also have a lot different.
we can easily fall in the "which is better" trap.
but we can try. go ahead ;)
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

sorry for making this thread lil bit off from the topic
If by "package base" you mean Debian Testing, then it's not the base that matters, it's the frequency of taking the snapshots that does.
at this time, the base does matter. at least until new cinnamon comes. current cinnamon in LMDE (1.8 ) is highly dependent on gnome (note that mint team didn't built gnome packages. the debian team did). in that case, mint dev team need to wait until gnome packages enter testing so that they could publish the newest cinnamon too. the case will be different on cinnamon 2.0 which is a completely independent DE. they don't have to wait anymore.

anyway, gnome 3.8 is packages is entering testing now. it won't take long time until all of them enter testing.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

kurotsugi wrote:anyway, gnome 3.8 is packages is entering testing now. it won't take long time until all of them enter testing.
Don't count on it, gnome-shell 3.8 is still in experimental... Gonna take a while...

http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.8-status.html
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You're right it's becoming very long since the last UP.
But it's summer vacations and the KDE release was released less than 2 weeks ago...

But yes, 6 months since the last UP is very long ! :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”