How to download a webcast

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to download a webcast

Postby tlcmd on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:09 pm

I would like to record a webcast (video and stereo sound) to my computer and subsequently copy it to a dvd, stick, etc. I enter the site and login with my id and password and can play it.

How can I record it?

Thanks. Appreciate any advice or suggestions.
I have access to 3 less than a year old HP computers. My biggie has a 2 Gig HDD and 12 Gigs of RAM. Also has dual boot with Windows 8.1 and LMDE (Mate). Rarely boot to Windows.
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to download a webcast

Postby gtsfer on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:53 am

There are some plugins for Firefox that should do this for you. Go to add-ons and search for "video download". Here's some info I found on just one of them... http://www.ehow.com/how_7159162_download-lecture-webcast.html
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Flemur on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:21 pm

How can I record it?

Downloading is preferable to recording, but you can record with a screen-recorder If downloading fails.

In firefox, I use
- "DownloadHelper" (v4.9.22) installs an entry to the rt-click menu.
- "Flash and Video Download" (v1.58) can display a button on a toolbar (dark square with white down-arrow; adds a blob when there's a video). On youtube it'll list all all the available resolutions/file-types and their sizes.

Some notes:
Timing is important - if you wait too long after opening a page, the download link can disappear; if so, reload the page.
I also use "Flashblock" which might have some effect on the others - sometimes you need to start the video to DL, other times not....?

Edit: how about an example URL you want to DL and I'll see if I can get it ...?
Mint 17/Xfce/fluxbox & another Mint 17/Xfce/fluxbox with jackd audio.
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gtsfer on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Flemur wrote:How can I record it?

I competely missed / ignored that. :shock: Thanks Flemur, yes if he wants to watch it and "record" at the same time that might be a completely different scenario than straight downloading. :)
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Other Topics