Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xircon

Re: Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Post by xircon »

Yes, running on wifi, do I have to run in recovery mode? Tried reinstalling nano (from a terminal with X & DE loaded, is that OK?) Works fine:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nano
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libexpat1-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev fp-units-multimedia libxcb-render-util0-dev libvorbis-dev fp-utils libxi-dev libdts-dev fp-units-db libfontconfig1-dev libogg-dev
  fp-units-fv libatk1.0-dev libmad0-dev libfreetype6-dev fp-units-math fp-ide fp-units-misc libmodplug-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxft-dev fp-units-gfx libvala0
  fp-units-net
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 543 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main nano amd64 2.2.4-1 [543 kB]
Fetched 543 kB in 0s (836 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 211049 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nano 2.2.4-1 (using .../nano_2.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nano ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for install-info ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nano (2.2.4-1) ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
:Edit: Cannot get a wifi connection in recovery mode, will try later on a cable, but have a lot on today :( so may be tomorrow.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

xircon, you can't really run sgfxi in recovery mode safely, this is a flaw with mint, it should have had one more runlevel as default for X running, say, 3, with 2 being a console only login, but with full services. Runlevel 1, aka single user mode, aka 'safe mode' is generally meant for basic emergency repairs of a broken system, many features of the linux system are not activated in runlevel 1, precisely because it is an emergency repair mode.

smxi in misc tweaks, advanced tweaks, has a runlevel editor that lets you easily reset the desktop runlevel to 3 or 5, I suggest 3 since that gives you a clean 1 - 2 -3 sequence on boot.

As soon as I learned that mint had released with that default runlevel, I winced, knowing perfectly well exactly what issues would arise.

Add in to that the wifi connection manager that disconnects on exiting desktop session and you have a not very great situation.

I've added in some more logging features to sgfxi to show me when things like this are happening, including a connection test log and a runlevel log, plus some more stuff with package install/update.
knireis

Post by knireis »

Running the liquorix kernel solved my audio issues, but now i can not get my wireless to work.
With the standard kernel i followed these (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57056) instructions to get the broadcom wireless working. However when i follow these instructions with the liquorix kernel i get these errors:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-2.dmz.8-liquorix-amd64
FATAL: Module wl not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for wl
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Managed to run the sgfxi script, but cannot boot into Mint anymore. Am currently in Windows7, will boot of a live CD and recover the log file and create a pastebin. Not a major problem, I break my machine on a fairly regular basis :)

Back in a bit!!

Right I am back - pastebin is located at:

http://pastebin.com/qQgXrRFE

Have also posted on the sgfxi forum and linked to this post, hope this is not bad form!!

How can I recover from this or should I be looking to reinstall?

:Update:

Back up and running, installed the drivers from the ATI site in recovery mode, which allowed me to get back in, but compositing is now dead any suggestions?
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

xircon, no, please use the techpatterns.com forums, this thread was not really about your issue so best let it wander on its own way and continue in the appropriate place.
xircon

Post by xircon »

True, will do. Sorry for inadvertently hijacking the thread, panic set in!!!

:edit: Back up and running, compositing was disabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, commented out so now back to normal. Again sorry for hijacking the thread.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I just heard of Liquorix today, I think I may try it out next time I'm on high-speed internet. I've been using the stock Debian kernel until now.

As much as I love cutting edge, it it worth getting? I feel a little wary of letting one individual design one of the core components of my computer. I feel silly about it, but as this is my day 2 of Debian, I feel that I might as well be honest about it. 8)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It's not the design of one individual. Linus Torvalds wrote the kernel, and liquorix modifies it slightly.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

sgosnell wrote:It's not the design of one individual. Linus Torvalds wrote the kernel, and liquorix modifies it slightly.
Well, that's what I meant. My kernel runs fine for me, since I keep Windows 7 for all the hardcore gaming and video production. I'll just stay with the default until my needs change :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Many people will agree, if the kernel you're using makes everything work well, there's really no compelling reason to change.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Hi,

I've installed Liquirix on my 64-bit machine through Synaptic Package Manager at it seems to work fine except I get this error now every time I go into shell:

bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2602/tasks: No such file or directory
bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2602/notify_on_release: No such file or directory
I also I've got another option I've installed recently linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae which I can use. Any ideas which is faster/better?

Thanks,
Victor.

EDIT:

I've disabled the following lines in /etc/bash.bashrc

# if [ "$PS1" ] ; then
   # mkdir -p -m 0700 /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$ > /dev/null 2>&1
   # echo $$ > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/tasks
   # echo "1" > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/notify_on_release
# fi
The problem seems to have disappeared, hopefully that won't do anything catastrophic :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”