Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Postby xircon on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:56 am

Yes, running on wifi, do I have to run in recovery mode? Tried reinstalling nano (from a terminal with X & DE loaded, is that OK?) Works fine:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install --reinstall nano
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libexpat1-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev fp-units-multimedia libxcb-render-util0-dev libvorbis-dev fp-utils libxi-dev libdts-dev fp-units-db libfontconfig1-dev libogg-dev
  fp-units-fv libatk1.0-dev libmad0-dev libfreetype6-dev fp-units-math fp-ide fp-units-misc libmodplug-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxft-dev fp-units-gfx libvala0
  fp-units-net
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 543 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main nano amd64 2.2.4-1 [543 kB]
Fetched 543 kB in 0s (836 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 211049 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nano 2.2.4-1 (using .../nano_2.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nano ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for install-info ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nano (2.2.4-1) ...
Processing triggers for menu ...

:Edit: Cannot get a wifi connection in recovery mode, will try later on a cable, but have a lot on today :( so may be tomorrow.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby h2-1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:19 pm

xircon, you can't really run sgfxi in recovery mode safely, this is a flaw with mint, it should have had one more runlevel as default for X running, say, 3, with 2 being a console only login, but with full services. Runlevel 1, aka single user mode, aka 'safe mode' is generally meant for basic emergency repairs of a broken system, many features of the linux system are not activated in runlevel 1, precisely because it is an emergency repair mode.

smxi in misc tweaks, advanced tweaks, has a runlevel editor that lets you easily reset the desktop runlevel to 3 or 5, I suggest 3 since that gives you a clean 1 - 2 -3 sequence on boot.

As soon as I learned that mint had released with that default runlevel, I winced, knowing perfectly well exactly what issues would arise.

Add in to that the wifi connection manager that disconnects on exiting desktop session and you have a not very great situation.

I've added in some more logging features to sgfxi to show me when things like this are happening, including a connection test log and a runlevel log, plus some more stuff with package install/update.
smxi/sgfxi site (manuals, how-to's, faqs) :: script forums :: Check out inxi sys info script!
h2-1
Level 3
Level 3

Postby knireis on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Running the liquorix kernel solved my audio issues, but now i can not get my wireless to work.
With the standard kernel i followed these (viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57056) instructions to get the broadcom wireless working. However when i follow these instructions with the liquorix kernel i get these errors:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-2.dmz.8-liquorix-amd64
FATAL: Module wl not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for wl
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
knireis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xircon on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Managed to run the sgfxi script, but cannot boot into Mint anymore. Am currently in Windows7, will boot of a live CD and recover the log file and create a pastebin. Not a major problem, I break my machine on a fairly regular basis :)

Back in a bit!!

Right I am back - pastebin is located at:

http://pastebin.com/qQgXrRFE

Have also posted on the sgfxi forum and linked to this post, hope this is not bad form!!

How can I recover from this or should I be looking to reinstall?

:Update:

Back up and running, installed the drivers from the ATI site in recovery mode, which allowed me to get back in, but compositing is now dead any suggestions?
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby h2-1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm

xircon, no, please use the techpatterns.com forums, this thread was not really about your issue so best let it wander on its own way and continue in the appropriate place.
smxi/sgfxi site (manuals, how-to's, faqs) :: script forums :: Check out inxi sys info script!
h2-1
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xircon on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:25 pm

True, will do. Sorry for inadvertently hijacking the thread, panic set in!!!

:edit: Back up and running, compositing was disabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, commented out so now back to normal. Again sorry for hijacking the thread.
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Sonsum on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I just heard of Liquorix today, I think I may try it out next time I'm on high-speed internet. I've been using the stock Debian kernel until now.

As much as I love cutting edge, it it worth getting? I feel a little wary of letting one individual design one of the core components of my computer. I feel silly about it, but as this is my day 2 of Debian, I feel that I might as well be honest about it. 8)
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sgosnell on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:11 am

It's not the design of one individual. Linus Torvalds wrote the kernel, and liquorix modifies it slightly.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Sonsum on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 am

sgosnell wrote:It's not the design of one individual. Linus Torvalds wrote the kernel, and liquorix modifies it slightly.

Well, that's what I meant. My kernel runs fine for me, since I keep Windows 7 for all the hardcore gaming and video production. I'll just stay with the default until my needs change :)
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:21 am

Many people will agree, if the kernel you're using makes everything work well, there's really no compelling reason to change.
Mint 17 Cinnamon
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby victorsk on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:08 am

Hi,

I've installed Liquirix on my 64-bit machine through Synaptic Package Manager at it seems to work fine except I get this error now every time I go into shell:

bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2602/tasks: No such file or directory
bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2602/notify_on_release: No such file or directory

I also I've got another option I've installed recently linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae which I can use. Any ideas which is faster/better?

Thanks,
Victor.

EDIT:

I've disabled the following lines in /etc/bash.bashrc

# if [ "$PS1" ] ; then
   # mkdir -p -m 0700 /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$ > /dev/null 2>&1
   # echo $$ > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/tasks
   # echo "1" > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/notify_on_release
# fi

The problem seems to have disappeared, hopefully that won't do anything catastrophic :)
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Other Topics