Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Postby autocrosser on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 pm

I've been following the GDM3 threads & have one question----where is the sound file located that plays when GDM is ready? I want to replace it & can't seem to find it. Tried the "normal" location in /usr/share/sounds---short of linking every login sound (which I've thought about), I would like to know which one is the correct one......

Also---just a thought---might be a good idea to sticky all the GDM3 threads in one posting..
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Postby secipolla on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm in a system without gnome, but maybe there's something in /etc/sound/events
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Postby autocrosser on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks--I'll look there this evening.
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sgosnell on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Try /usr/share/sounds.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby autocrosser on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:35 pm

sgosnell wrote:Try /usr/share/sounds.

My first post noted that I've looked there, unless you have a specific file that I've not looked at. I have looked at the /linuxmint sound set there + the "normal" login & gdm sounds.
Last edited by autocrosser on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby autocrosser on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:42 pm

secipolla wrote:I'm in a system without gnome, but maybe there's something in /etc/sound/events

Hmmmm....looked there & there is a gnome-2.soundlist, but the (login) points to linuxmint-login.wav---which I've already changed in /usr/share/sounds....

I know it "must" be in /usr/share/sounds.....but I can't seem to find it.......
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sgosnell on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 am

/usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg or /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg, depending on your theme. To change it, run Preferences/Startup Applications, scroll to Gnome Login Sound, and set whatever sound file you like. The default type is .ogg, but others such as .mp3 or .wav might work, I've never tried them.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby autocrosser on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 am

sgosnell wrote:/usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg or /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg, depending on your theme. To change it, run Preferences/Startup Applications, scroll to Gnome Login Sound, and set whatever sound file you like. The default type is .ogg, but others such as .mp3 or .wav might work, I've never tried them.

Well--that changes the sound file on Gnome desktop load---problem is that I want to change the sound that plays at GDM start, right when the user list is displayed. It's currently a "pip" or "ping" like sound.
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sgosnell on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 am

I didn't know there was a sound played then. I don't have one.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby autocrosser on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Hmmmmmmm---Interesting. This /home was a convert from Ubuntu Natty testing & Ubuntu plays a "gdm ready" sound (Drumbeat that I always changed to a StarTrek login sound). Looks like I need to look into gdm options a bit more. Thank you for your info.....
Linux User# 395230
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sgosnell on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Is this the sound you hear? /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-gdm.wav

In that same folder there are login and logout .wav files, along with some others, at least on my system.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kwatson512 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:14 am

I'm having the same issue. Autocrosser, you are not incorrect about Mint. In previous versions of Mint that I've used, the gdm login screen plays a short beep (/usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/system-ready.ogg). Then when the desktop appears, it plays /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg.

In my Mint Debian installation, the system-ready.ogg sound does not play. Instead, I get an ugly beep (like the script is calling for a sound file but doesn't connect with the right one and so I get a default system beep). I would also like to fix that.

BTW, I have never been successful in getting Mint to play the desktop-logout.ogg sound on shutdown on any laptop. It worked for me on a Dell XPS 400 tower (Mint 4 Daryna through about Mint 9 Isadora), but then I switched exclusively to laptops and haven't gotten to hear that since.
Mint 16 64-bit Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T430s, 8GB RAM
kwatson512
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kwatson512 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:36 am

Well, now I've inadvertently disabled my desktop login sound entirely. I went to Control Center -> Startup Applications Preferences -> GNOME Login Sound and edited that to play /usr/share/sounds/stereo/desktop-login.ogg. When I rebooted, there was no sound at boot-up. So I did it again, this time selecting /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav, but with the same results (no login sound). I stupidly forgot to write down what was there by default, so I can't get that back.

I also tried selecting one of the default themes (Mint-X or Mint-X-Metal) but that only changed appearance, and not the sounds.

Can anyone point me (us) to the default sound file at login? Or even better, set up all three gdm event sounds (desktop ready, login, logout)! :(

UPDATE: I restored my login sound according to this post. Thanks to kmb42vt!

The default is /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg. I still don't know how to configure the greeter or shutdown sounds.
Mint 16 64-bit Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T430s, 8GB RAM
kwatson512
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other Topics