[Solved]Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
headkase

[Solved]Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Post by headkase »

Ok, so today I found some updates and applied them.

After installation the "Mark All Upgrades" button was simply missing from Synaptic. To resolve this issue I did the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall synaptic

Hope this helps someone out there! ;)

Bill.

Edit: here's the fix ->
Roken wrote:OK - here's the fix.

If you haven't already (or if you've rebooted) reinstall synaptic.

Now, before you reboot open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve
This will create a new text file. Add the following two lines to the file:

/usr/share/synaptic/glade/window_main.glade
/usr/share/synaptic/gtkbuilder/window_main.ui
Save. Now your "Mark All Upgrades" button should be back and surviving reboots. To revert to default mint behaviour:

sudo rm /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve
This is the correct way to disable the mintsystem change to synaptic (based on examination of the mintsystem script) and should survive updates in the future.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
headkase

Re: [SOLVED] Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Post by headkase »

Spoke too soon. After a reboot, the "Mark All Upgrades" button is gone again.. :(

Advice?
GeneC

Re: Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Post by GeneC »

Same here

No "mark all upgrades" button.

Reinstall synaptic = OK (back again)!

Re-boot = Gone again. :roll:

Must be a bug from todays updates.
mads

Post by mads »

WARNING: Please, don't get mad! I know the following sounds crazy, but at least it will not do things worse. :)

For a while ago, I had a similar issue with "Quick filter". It finally came back in place after running these:
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

Opening Synaptic after these will hopefully show "Mark all upgrades" button again.

PS! I have installed the latest updates and I don't have any issue with "Mark all upgrades" button.
headkase

Post by headkase »

mads wrote:WARNING: Please, don't get mad! I know the following sounds crazy, but at least it will not do things worse. :)

For a while ago, I had a similar issue with "Quick filter". It finally came back in place after running these:
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

Opening Synaptic after these will hopefully show "Mark all upgrades" button again.

PS! I have installed the latest updates and I don't have any issue with "Mark all upgrades" button.
Did this, button still missing... :(
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

This is how the main edition works, perhaps an Mint update is patching Synaptic now in LMDE.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

mads wrote:WARNING: Please, don't get mad! I know the following sounds crazy, but at least it will not do things worse. :)

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

Heck. I am not even miffed! :lol:
Always thankful for any suggestions. :wink:

This is ODD though.
I have two installations of LMDE, one tracking "testing", one tracking SID.
BOTH have lost the "Mark all upgrades" button, today ! ?

Its Synaptic version 0.75.1, hasn't been upgraded in a while.
(Though if you go to synaptic, and "hit" HELP>ABOUT it says 0.70, but I did notice that before, and this is the first day the button disappeared).
I thought it was just particular to me, but I guess not?

P.S. I am running the Liquorix kernels, but cant see what difference that would make.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

proxima_centauri wrote:This is how the main edition works, perhaps an Mint update is patching Synaptic now in LMDE.
Yes, I wondered if the new Mint Update that Clem has been working on had any bearing on this problem.

I tried uninstalling mint update, reinstalling synaptic, "Mark All Upgrades" back again. :D
Re-booted

GONE again! :shock:

Heck, I use Synaptic for updates.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

GeneC wrote:Yes, I wondered if the new Mint Update that Clem has been working on had any bearing on this problem.

I tried uninstalling mint update, reinstalling synaptic, "Mark All Upgrades" back again. :D
Re-booted

Seems to suggest something is running at boot to patch Synaptic's layout.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

proxima_centauri wrote:
GeneC wrote:Yes, I wondered if the new Mint Update that Clem has been working on had any bearing on this problem.

Re-booted

Seems to suggest something is running at boot to patch Synaptic's layout.
I found it not a good idea to remove Mint Update.
It also removed access to "Software Sources" (Gui), or clicking on "settings">"repositories" in Synaptic (which leads to the same thing.). No response.

I re-installed Mint Update, and guess I will be using that.
Cant have Clem doing all that work for nothing can we. :roll: :wink:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

My complaints about synaptic changes bore no fruit
--and I did realize that mintupdate was being developed as a replacement
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

DrHu wrote:My complaints about synaptic changes bore no fruit
--and I did realize that mintupdate was being developed as a replacement
I guess that means we are being discouraged from using Synaptic for updates?
But it so "slick"!?
I almost never used the Mint Update. Removed the "update icon" from the panel (hated that thing. always having to look over to see if there were updates avail,got on my nerves). :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the culprit here must be the new mintsystem pkg (that odd enough was updated today)
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Very likely as synaptic in my Debian install (non Mint) still has the mark all upgrades button, as always.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I noticed this myself. The weird thing about it is that in the Synaptic menu bar under, "Help/About", it shows Synaptic as version 0.7 yet it Synaptic's package list it shows Synaptic as version 0.75.1. Such rolling distro weirdness. :D

Hmm, this thread probably should have posted under LMDE breakages?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, i just did the test: upgraded this evening my lmde-sid, but before pinned mintsystem to v 7.7.3 and synaptic still looks as it should :mrgreen:

to be honest, some things i can't understand :?:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:well, i just did the test: upgraded this evening my lmde-sid, but before pinned mintsystem to v 7.7.3 and synaptic still looks as it should :mrgreen:

to be honest, some things i can't understand :?:
I am with you on that, my friend.! :shock:

But, you hit the nail right on the head. It was the update to mintsystem that made the button dissapear.

I un-installed mintsystem v 7.7.5.
Installed v 7.7.3 from Julia repo.
Re-installed synaptic.
IT's BACK! :?

Re-booted -- Its still there... :D

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Ah, no big deal. I'll just let things go as they are and keep reinstalling Synaptic when I first boot up in the morning. I'm curious as to when the devs will actually fix this so I need to keep things as they are for now. I also want to see what fixes it, like a change to Mintsystem or a change to Synaptic for example. Just a personal obsession mind you. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well I find this very odd.

I have a fully up to date LMDE. I haven't pinned anything, uninstalled anything, reinstalled anything, in fact I haven't done anything to anything except updates. I have also rebooted twice and done a full shut down twice as well.

My mintsystem is version 7.7.5.

Synaptic had a 'mark all upgrades' button when it woke up this morning and it still has one now, and it always has had one all day long.

Isn't that strange?

I know how annoying the removal of this button is ( I railed against it when it disappeared from Mint 10).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

kmb42vt wrote:Ah, no big deal. I'll just let things go as they are and keep reinstalling Synaptic when I first boot up in the morning. I'm curious as to when the devs will actually fix this so I need to keep things as they are for now. I also want to see what fixes it, like a change to Mintsystem or a change to Synaptic for example. Just a personal obsession mind you. :D
Yes, Its not a big thing, just curious. Just want to know what is going on, so I left my SID install with the latest MintUpdate (and no "mark all upgrade" button), and reverted my "testing" partition to the 7.7.3 version, and a button. and that version pinned. Just to see what happens. :P

=============================================================
by viking777 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I find this very odd.

I have a fully up to date LMDE. I haven't pinned anything, uninstalled anything, reinstalled anything, in fact I haven't done anything to anything except updates. I have also rebooted twice and done a full shut down twice as well.

My mintsystem is version 7.7.5.

Synaptic had a 'mark all upgrades' button when it woke up this morning and it still has one now, and it always has had one all day long.

Isn't that strange?

I know how annoying the removal of this button is ( I railed against it when it disappeared from Mint 10).
Unlike you, I am not quite "stock". I have the Liquorix kernel, and " backports" enabled.
I do not look at any of these issues as "breakages", just "small sprains"! :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”