[Solved]Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
viking777

Re: Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Post by viking777 »

Unlike you, I am not quite "stock". I have the Liquorix kernel, and " backports" enabled.
I do not look at any of these issues as "breakages", just "small sprains"!
Oh I understand that Gene, but you don't seem to be the only one reporting this. Are all the others that are affected Liquorix users as well?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

viking777 wrote:
Unlike you, I am not quite "stock". I have the Liquorix kernel, and " backports" enabled.
Oh I understand that Gene, but you don't seem to be the only one reporting this. Are all the others that are affected Liquorix users as well?

I would be curious to know that as well. It DOES seem to me, that we with the Liquorix 2.6.38-2 kernel are not having the problems that the new stock Debian 2.6.38-2 kernel is giving others.?

Well, this is interesting, anyway. I was getting a little tired of doing those jig-saw puzzles you pointed us to. :lol: (It had been YEARS since I did jig-saw puzzles.) :wink:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well, this is interesting, anyway. I was getting a little tired of doing those jig-saw puzzles you pointed us to
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought everyone had ignored that post - it didn't get much of a response anyway. (I could just see everyone muttering "what a retard" after reading it). :D

Actually I just finished one about 15 minutes ago. I like them, they fill in the time between reading the latest Mint conspiracy theories. :wink:
headkase

Post by headkase »

viking777 wrote:
I'm using the Liquorix kernel:

bill@solomon ~ $ uname -r
2.6.38-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64

Bill.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

headkase wrote:
viking777 wrote:
I'm using the Liquorix kernel:

bill@solomon ~ $ uname -r
2.6.38-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64

Bill.
I did a clean install of LMDE including accepting all configuration file changes about a month ago and kept it stock all the way. I'm currently using the latest kernel offered by Debian testing (2.6.38-2-amd64) and not the equivalent Liquorix kernel. Then again I'm using a stock, 2 year old Gateway desktop PC (with the exception that I yanked the TV tuner and wireless cards out of it when I first inspected it before hooking it up) that's not hooked up to a network and in my experience, stand alone desktop PCs appear to have the least problems as far as hardware compatibility is concerned (so far). Mobile PCs such as laptops, notebooks and netbooks and desktops hooked to any type of network are another story though. Either way, it makes it awfully hard to confirm some of these problems what with all the different hardware setups at hand.

Time to win the lottery so I can set up a Linux Mint testing lab? Must talk to Clem about this. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

The synaptics gui is overwritten by /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.overwrite. Having looked through the mintSystem script, deleting this file should preserve the synaptic GUI - but don;t do anything yet - I'm experimenting with a less destructive method of disabling this.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK - here's the fix.

If you haven't already (or if you've rebooted) reinstall synaptic.

Now, before you reboot open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve
This will create a new text file. Add the following two lines to the file:

/usr/share/synaptic/glade/window_main.glade
/usr/share/synaptic/gtkbuilder/window_main.ui
Save. Now your "Mark All Upgrades" button should be back and surviving reboots. To revert to default mint behaviour:

sudo rm /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve
This is the correct way to disable the mintsystem change to synaptic (based on examination of the mintsystem script) and should survive updates in the future.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Roken wrote:OK - here's the fix.

Save. Now your "Mark All Upgrades" button should be back and surviving reboots. To revert to default mint behaviour:

This is the correct way to disable the mintsystem change to synaptic (based on examination of the mintsystem script) and should survive updates in the future.

Thanks for that! :)

I thought that I had found a "hack", but as I really don't know squat about what I am doing. :oops:
Its probably going to end up hurting more than helping...lol.. I am just playing around trying to "learn by breaking" :roll:

I had simply REMOVED from

etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.overwrite

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/adjustments/window_main.ui /usr/share/synaptic/gtkbuilder/window_main.ui
It seemed to have worked, but I may have broken something else. Not sure yet. I'd bet that you checked into this, and can tell me.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

That will do it - but it probably won't survive an update. My fix is in effectively creating a configuration change within the parameters of mintsystem, so even after an upgrade it should remain fixed. Your way will be reversed as soon as mintsystem is updated because the overwrite file will likely be reinstalled as well.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Roken wrote:That will do it - but it probably won't survive an update. My fix is in effectively creating a configuration change within the parameters of mintsystem, so even after an upgrade it should remain fixed. Your way will be reversed as soon as mintsystem is updated because the overwrite file will likely be reinstalled as well.
Ahh! Yes. That makes much sense.
I like your way better... :wink:

Thanks!
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Gene - if you want to see what it actually does (and why my fix should survive updates) the actual script responsible for this (python script) is located at /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py.

Basically it scans the adjustments directory for .preserve files and reads the contents line by line into an array. Then it reads the .overwrite files. A comparison between the overwrite destination and the preserve destinations is made, and if there's a match the overwrite is skipped. If no match it goes ahead and changes it.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Roken wrote:Gene - if you want to see what it actually does (and why my fix should survive updates) the actual script responsible for this (python script) is located at /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py.

Basically it scans the adjustments directory for .preserve files and reads the contents line by line into an array. Then it reads the .overwrite files. A comparison between the overwrite destination and the preserve destinations is made, and if there's a match the overwrite is skipped. If no match it goes ahead and changes it.
I just had a look at that file... :shock: :lol:

So that is the "Python" programming language? Is Python the main Linux programming language?
Looks daunting.
I admire your knowledge of it. :wink:
headkase

Post by headkase »

Roken wrote:OK - here's the fix.

Thank you, this fixes the issue for me!
headkase

Re: [Solved]Synaptic "Mark all upgrades" button gone.

Post by headkase »

Updated first post with fix, thank you Roken.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Tks Roken for giving us this fix!
i was in the evening trying to hack mintsystem, but just gave up, it's test-install anyway; and in my main lmde, i skipped the problem pinning the v. 7.7.3;

viking: it's very odd :o because my install is the most stock you can get (apart from still having the old .32 kernel) and the button is gone.
Last edited by zerozero on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

It should affect all versions of mint that get the update, regardless of DE, kernel, gfx drivers, hardware or anything else that usually causes problems on a number of systems. I'm more curious about why one or two people have said that it hasn't affected them, simply because it's basically a file checker, and the files checked for should be on all versions of LMDE. In fact, knowing what is causing it, I'd be more worried if I wasn't affected because it would indicate something else wrong with my system :!:
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
twa

Post by twa »

Roken,
thanks for the fix..it worked also for me.
:D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:Tks Roken for giving us this fix!
i was in the evening trying to hack mintsystem, but just gave up, it's test-install anyway; and in my main lmde, i skipped the problem pinning the v. 7.7.3;

viging: it's very odd :o because my install is the most stock you can get (apart from still having the old .32 kernel) and the button is gone.
Well my button is still there.

I had a look at Roken's suggestion and I find that the file

/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve
was already in existence on my installation.

Although it only contained the one line:

Don't ask me how it got there if it isn't there by default. Although I knew about the effect of mint adjustments on synaptic in Mint 8 and certainly played around with it then when the button first disappeared on that distro, I wasn't able to fix it, but I have always had a 'mark all upgrades' button in LMDE right from the start, and I certainly didn't copy any config files from anywhere else into LMDE. :?:
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I've just done a fresh install of standard Mint and KDE Mint and they both have the Synaptic "mark all" button missing.
Not a problem with Synaptic as you can use shift or Ctrl to block mark and then right click to mark/unmark things but I notice that you can't use the same method, Shift/Ctrl select with Mint Update.

Another thing was that with both installs and nothing added I got the "Broken Packages" message with Mint Update.
I overcome this using Synaptic and block marking/installing from A to J then restart but I still got the "Broken Packages" message.
I installed from K to N, restarted and Mint Update ran without an error.

So I guess there's a common problem going through all mint versions.

Return to “LMDE Archive”