LMDE Bugs

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inp3dance

LMDE Bugs

Post by inp3dance »

Hi, I don't know where should I report LMDE bugs, so I do it here.

After installing proprietary NVidia drivers, xorg falls back to vesa driver, beause nouveau got blacklisted and there is no config to set nvidia as the default driver.
Proposed solution: modify the NVidia driver package to install a config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with something like:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Default NVidia Device"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection
There is no touchpad tapping enabled by default, and in Xfce edition, there is no any configuration option to enable it.
Proposed solution: install a config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
	Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection
This way not touchpad tapping will be enabled, even at the login window.

3. synapse crashes when I start typing in it.

** (synapse:19763): WARNING **: desktop-file-service.vala:262: Desktop session type is not recognized, assuming GNOME.
[12:04:00.597527 Info] [UILauncher] Binding activation to <Control>space
(synapse:19763): GtkHotkey-DEBUG: Listener Type: GtkHotkeyX11Listener
[12:04:00.611837 Info] [GuiSynapseWindow] Screen is composited.
Segmentation fault
I will try to investigate the cause, but I don't know when I will arrive to have some spare time for this.

4. The latest update from Xfce 4.6 -> 4.8 messed up my menu like this ( the order of items is changed ):
http://img84.imageshack.us/i/menufpm.png/

5. There is no shortcut key for bringing up the Xfce menu. As a matter of fact, all my desktop specific shortcuts gone after updating form Xfce 4.6 -> 4.8 ( like Alt-F2 for Run ), but it was easy fixable with the "reset to defaults" option in Settings->Keyboard->Application Shortcuts.

6. I think LMDE needs a bit of work in the system services/ runlevels domain, but this is not a bug report, more a feature request.
LMDE boots by default in runlevel 2, and all the services which are enabled, are set to start in all runlevels. I mean gdm3 start by default in runlevel 2 too, for example. I did not used Debian at all, so maybe this is the Debian default, but I think to separate the runlevels 2, 3 and 5 ( multiuser, multiuser with network and multiuser with network and xorg ) would be somewhat more convenient.
Let's take a simple example: the user installs some xorg driver, which freezes the kernel when it loads. Normally, it would be simple to boot in runlevel 2 or 3, without xorg and change the configuration to not use that driver, or to blacklist it. With the current LMDE configuration, it is not possible, because gdm3 starts automatically in all runlevels.

By, the way, I use LMDE Xfce edition, 32bit, on an Asus X55Sv, Core2Duo, NVidia graphics laptop and I want to congratulate both the LMDE and the Debian team for their excellent work. I will try to contribute as much as I can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inp3dance

Re: LMDE Bugs

Post by inp3dance »

I resolved the synapse problem by updating to version 0.2.6. I made a package for 32bit architecture, I can upload if somebody needs it, but I'm new at deb packaging, it's more complicated than packaging rpms, so I can't guarantee the quality. But for me it is working !
dawgdoc

Re: LMDE Bugs

Post by dawgdoc »

There is an ongoing to report and discuss LMDE Breakages and can be found at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502

It is helpful to that you explain your fixes so well, thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”