LMDE (Gnome and Xfce) "Login screen set..." issue? (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Eko_taas

LMDE (Gnome and Xfce) "Login screen set..." issue? (Solved)

Post by Eko_taas »

I tried to put my LMDE (201108 RC of both types) to have login automatically to user account.

1. Installed fresh LMDE (and updated all packages, now up to date) (HD got broken :( )
2. created normal user (yyy)
3. locked in and out as normal (yyy) user (to make sure it exists)
4. re-started PC and locked in as main user (xxxadmin)
5. Started "Login Screen Settings" and tried to activate editing from "lock". Nothing happens.
(everything else seems OK in my favorate system)

Same "feature" in both editions :shock:

Bug or newbee issue :?: (was working on my 201012 edition, last update 2Ms back)...

If bug, I hope will be corrected before official release.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE (Gnome and Xfce) "Login screen settings" issue?

Post by xenopeek »

The lock/unlock icon not working on LMDE is a known bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/830409

Workaround from terminal (at least for GNOME):

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
Change the following lines under the [daemon] section (or add these three lines if they are not there):

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=YOURUSERNAME
And replace YOURUSERNAME with your user name. Then save & close the file. Next time it should automatically login.
Eko_taas

Re: LMDE (Gnome and Xfce) "Login screen settings" issue?

Post by Eko_taas »

gksudo gedit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
(gksudo:2731): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed
No worry, when used root-terminal, and "gedit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf", edit was OK. But after change of /etc/gdm3/daemon.cnf (with pref. username) and save / recheck, still no result.

Anyhow, as said, known bug, so also OK to wait bug-fix....

Changed as solved....
wayne128

Re: LMDE (Gnome and Xfce) "Login screen set..." issue? (Solv

Post by wayne128 »

I did not fix this. But this is the issue for many Debian distros I have tracking testing
Mine is tracking SID, once upgraded, this issue resolved itself.
so you can wait for a while until some packages from Sid filter down to Testing.
alan0kerns

Post by alan0kerns »

As of 2011-11-01 I needed to access /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf.dpkg-dist [not /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf] in order to make the recommended changes.
Thanks Vince.
Alan Kerns
alan0kerns

Post by alan0kerns »

2011-11-02 what I posted yesterday did not work.
So I entered the recommended info into /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf as recommended originally by Vince, and it worked.
That file previously contained no entries under any of the headings, but relevant entries were in the adjacent file: daemon.conf.dpkg-dist.
Thanks again, Vince.
Alan Kerns
mirghany

Post by mirghany »

Hi,
Auto login can be configured ( If editing /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf or /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf.dpkg-distails to do any effect ) throught editing /usr/share/gdm/gdm.schemas there are some useful parameters , if you would like to get auto login without time delay and choose edit paragraph AutomaticLoginEnable . If you would like to get a choose login screen and delaied login edit paragraph TimedLoginEnable , In all cases you have to fill the usermane in the next line.
Regards

Return to “LMDE Archive”