Debian CE Artwork...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Zwopper on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:48 am

Zwopper wrote:
adredz wrote:Anyone has the time to put the Mint symbol beside the revised logo Zwopper made? i think we should not abandon the LM-symbol, IMO...let's see if they fit well together...one suggestion though, alter the symbol's color combination a bit to go with the dark pattern Zwopper made...

Just a quick and dirty one...
I will make a cleaner, crisper, not so compressed version if it gets approval.
Image

...what the heck...
Another version...
Still compressed though...
Image
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Phill on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:40 am

Zwopper wrote:...what the heck...
Another version...
Still compressed though...
Image


Although I like the black version, this half-black/half-green logo I don't really like; it's not quite slick enough to match the rest of LM's artwork. It's not the quality - it's the colours.

I also think it looks good in mint-green, as per the Gnome splash I did earlier (and not just because I did it!) :(

Image
Image
Waiting patiently for Mint Debian...
Phill
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:23 pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby molom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 am

adredz wrote:
molom wrote:Your logo takes away the debianess, while the older logo takes away the Mintiness! I don't know which one to choose :cry: :? :D

Cheers,
molom


im confused. In what way does zwopper revised logo take away the debianess? how could it be when it has the debian trademark all over it...


I just think the green kills the debian look, because debian logo feels more darkish than a nice green, while the black letters from the older logo kills the mintiness. Thats all.
User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:09 am

Zwopper wrote:...what the heck...
Another version...
Still compressed though...
Image


hahaha, looks neat and pleasing IMO. excellent bro! :D i tried to picture out in my mind the one you made first, i thought it looked very ugly. this one is just simply beautiful!i hope Ede will comment bout this since he's the origianl designer. he mentioned about being simplistic when it comes to making a logo, don't know if this fits his standards...
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:18 am

Phill wrote:
Zwopper wrote:...what the heck...
Another version...
Still compressed though...
Image


Although I like the black version, this half-black/half-green logo I don't really like; it's not quite slick enough to match the rest of LM's artwork. It's not the quality - it's the colours.

I also think it looks good in mint-green, as per the Gnome splash I did earlier (and not just because I did it!) :(

Image


for me it doesn't matter whether or not it fits the rest of LM's artwork. i mean, we don't have a choice IMO except we drop Ede's design as a base and make another one. Ede's design is patterned with dark colors and i think we have to follow that so the logo will have consistency in its look color-wise...and in the first place, the sort of pink color of the debian twirl looks lost in the original Linux Mint logo color pattern. so i guess, we should alter it a bit so that all will fit together...am i right?
Last edited by adredz on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:25 am

molom wrote:
adredz wrote:
molom wrote:Your logo takes away the debianess, while the older logo takes away the Mintiness! I don't know which one to choose :cry: :? :D

Cheers,
molom


im confused. In what way does zwopper revised logo take away the debianess? how could it be when it has the debian trademark all over it...


I just think the green kills the debian look, because debian logo feels more darkish than a nice green, while the black letters from the older logo kills the mintiness. Thats all.


do we have a choice?...your question kind of triggered myself to ask why we should develop a Debian based Mint distro in the first place if we restrict ourselves to combine the glowish lightgreen(Mint) and dark(debian) colors...granting we really want to combine Mint and Debian down to their color trademarks...
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Ede on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:14 pm

I don't want to sound rude, but you guys are bloating up the logo. Remember where this logo will be. It will be in splashscreens, boot-ui, bootscreens, allovertheplace. And that's why simple logos work better and is more memorable. That's one of the main reasons I used a simpe deformed version of the debian twirl, so it can be resized to very low sized without looking fugly.

Let's just revision some of the best logos in the history of mankind...
Pepsi, Coca Cola, Nike, Apple, Nintendo, Sony, etc. And they are all simple. Clean. Simpe. Unbloat. And every good designer should get inspiration from this.

adredz wrote:for me it doesn't matter whether or not it fits the rest of LM's artwork. i mean, we don't have a choice IMO except we drop Ede's design as a base and make another one. Ede's design is patterned with dark colors and i think we have to follow that so the logo will have consistency in its look color-wise...and in the first place, the sort of pink color of the debian twirl looks lost in the original Linux Mint logo color pattern. so i guess, we should alter it a bit so that all will fit together...am i right?

1. What? My design is not patterned with dark colors. This is what I made, I'we made nothing else.
Image
I'm no stranger to the thought of replacing the black text with green.
2. It's not pink. It's magenta.
3. Why do we even need the debian-twirl? The Linux Mint-logo does not borrow anything from Ubuntu, neither does ubuntu borrow anything from debian.
4. To comment myself above, I personally like the debian-twirl, and I would like the logo to show where the base is.

You know, I'm going to create a vote. Let's vote on which logo we will use. Even though I don't like democracy.
User avatar
Ede
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby cmost on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Zwopper wrote:
adredz wrote:Anyone has the time to put the Mint symbol beside the revised logo Zwopper made? i think we should not abandon the LM-symbol, IMO...let's see if they fit well together...one suggestion though, alter the symbol's color combination a bit to go with the dark pattern Zwopper made...

Just a quick and dirty one...
I will make a cleaner, crisper, not so compressed version if it gets approval.
Image


Okay!! This is far and away the best modification of Linux Mint's logo for Debian Mint I've seen yet!!! Very nice!!!!!!! :-)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 am
Location: Newport, Kentucky

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby verdegal37 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm

New Wallpaper; :lol: 8)

Image

Greetings;
Agust
My operating system ????
verdegal37
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Kynan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Ede wrote:I don't want to sound rude, but you guys are bloating up the logo. Remember where this logo will be. It will be in splashscreens, boot-ui, bootscreens, allovertheplace. And that's why simple logos work better and is more memorable. That's one of the main reasons I used a simpe deformed version of the debian twirl, so it can be resized to very low sized without looking fugly.

Let's just revision some of the best logos in the history of mankind...
Pepsi, Coca Cola, Nike, Apple, Nintendo, Sony, etc. And they are all simple. Clean. Simpe. Unbloat. And every good designer should get inspiration from this.

adredz wrote:for me it doesn't matter whether or not it fits the rest of LM's artwork. i mean, we don't have a choice IMO except we drop Ede's design as a base and make another one. Ede's design is patterned with dark colors and i think we have to follow that so the logo will have consistency in its look color-wise...and in the first place, the sort of pink color of the debian twirl looks lost in the original Linux Mint logo color pattern. so i guess, we should alter it a bit so that all will fit together...am i right?

1. What? My design is not patterned with dark colors. This is what I made, I'we made nothing else.
Image
I'm no stranger to the thought of replacing the black text with green.
2. It's not pink. It's magenta.
3. Why do we even need the debian-twirl? The Linux Mint-logo does not borrow anything from Ubuntu, neither does ubuntu borrow anything from debian.
4. To comment myself above, I personally like the debian-twirl, and I would like the logo to show where the base is.

You know, I'm going to create a vote. Let's vote on which logo we will use. Even though I don't like democracy.


120% agree (why 120%? well i like alcohol ;) pitty we dont have such a great iso mounter for linux...) i'm gonna be honest here, this logo is the only one out of the lot i like and i very much agree with Ede here if you guys really want to have it green why not have the swirl a light mint green instead, making the text green just looks horrible.
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:50 pm

me too..ive singled out Ede's work as the best so far...i just thought modifying it a bit in various ways would give us many of options...btw, about the poll, looks like it's taking the lead...would it be enough to justify abandoning the LM-symbol?
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Kynan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:51 pm

e.g.
Image
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Zwopper on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 am

adredz wrote:me too..ive singled out Ede's work as the best so far...i just thought modifying it a bit in various ways would give us many of options...btw, about the poll, looks like it's taking the lead...would it be enough to justify abandoning the LM-symbol?

How about putting the Debian swirl in the "mint leaf logo"!?!?
...in the way the XFCE logo was integrated with the "mint leaf"
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:13 am

Kynan wrote:e.g.
Image


cool...minty cool!
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 am

Kynan wrote:e.g.
Image


how about adding some silver linings to make it cooler. either on the right side, left or even envelope the whole logo. don't know, just a thought...
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:22 am

Zwopper wrote:
adredz wrote:me too..ive singled out Ede's work as the best so far...i just thought modifying it a bit in various ways would give us many of options...btw, about the poll, looks like it's taking the lead...would it be enough to justify abandoning the LM-symbol?

How about putting the Debian swirl in the "mint leaf logo"!?!?
...in the way the XFCE logo was integrated with the "mint leaf"


i don't know, really...just do it and we'll see... :D
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby adredz on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 am

verdegal37 wrote:New Wallpaper; :lol: 8)

Image

Greetings;
Agust


this is nice...i like it...keep it going Agust...
adredz
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Kynan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 am

i took your advice and made these test previews (the silver shadows and the envelope i figured id use the mint leaf) obviously the leaf has been resized and looks rather bad, maybe i could find the svg and resize it properly and make it again if people like it.
Image with silver shadow
Image with silver shadow and mint leaf (badly scaled) red
Image with silver shadow and mint leaf (badly scaled) green
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby cmost on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 pm

I think the leaf in the background as well as the shadow are a bit much Kynan. I do like the subtlety of the green swirl as opposed to the typical Debian red. :-)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 am
Location: Newport, Kentucky

Re: Debian CE Artwork...

Postby Phill on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Kynan wrote:Image with silver shadow


This is awesome - by far the best logo we've had, but I'm not sure about the silver in the background. Can you do one without it?
Image
Waiting patiently for Mint Debian...
Phill
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:23 pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Other Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests