Display settings

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Display settings

Postby MrBreeze on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:20 am

Hi,

After one of the latest updates I got a totally different layout of my screen display.
The panels on top and bottom are visible all the time and the desktop icons for connected media disappered.

Maybe sounds a bit silly but I like to have the panels with autohide and my HD:s shown as icons on the screen
but I can't get it back to my normal status in any of the settings. Any solution to this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"They call me the Breeze, I'll keep blowing down the road" (trucking since 1974)
MrBreeze
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Display settings

Postby Kilz on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:52 am

If in the top left hand corner you see "Applications" and "Places" you are in fallback mode and you need to make sure the proprietary drivers are active. Go to the System settings, Hardware Drivers to check it.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
Kilz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MrBreeze on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you Kilz for answering.

Yes, you're right about the fallback mode.
The problem is that I'm running a Swedish version of LMDE and can't find anything about Hardware Drivers under the System settings.
I looked everywhere, even in the main menu settings, but can not find anything about propriety drivers anywhere and I'm sad to say that
my ability to run linux in textmode is not so good. Too much Windoze thru the years, I suppose. ;-)

I'm running LMDE with kernel 3.1.0-1-amd64 and Gnome 3.0.2 on a AMD Athlon X2 4600+ and the problems started after the Gnome upgrade
so I'm thinking about doing a fresh reinstall to try xfce instead to see if it is working othervise.
Apart from the stationary, my Acer Aspire One D250 netbook runs perfectly with Joli OS 1.2 to fill every needs when I'm away from home.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"They call me the Breeze, I'll keep blowing down the road" (trucking since 1974)
MrBreeze
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kilz on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm

You could open a terminal and type

Code: Select all
gnome-control-center --overview

For the system settings.
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
Kilz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MrBreeze on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 am

I did that but the same system settings as usual came up.
It's the same as I can access under my name up in the right corner on the screen or
under Applications - System tools - Settings in the upper left corner.
Under Applications - Debian - Applications - System - Hardware it's still nothing about proprietary drivers.
I can't find anything useful at all. :(
Maybe it's time for a new clean install of LM 12 instead!
MrBreeze
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kilz on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 am

Reinstalling will likely do nothing but waste time. There is no additional drivers or anything in that section dealing with drivers?
64bit Linux Powered
Kilz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MrBreeze on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 am

Sorry to say that I can't find anything considering drivers anywhere under Applications.
Maybe somebody missed it in this Swedish version?

Only thing is "Windows drivers for wireless networkcards" under Systemtools - Administration that also can be found
under Debian - Applications - System - Hardware but I think the problem is related to the graphics driver and Gnome.
MrBreeze
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other Topics