Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

My 5 year old daughter has seriously messed up my log in screen somehow. :evil: She can't or won't tell me what she did so I really don't know happened.
The screen is now divided vertically, the left half is normal but the right side is black and has a few sets of dots in a triangle pattern that move around when I move the mouse. The black side of the screen also moves when I move the the mouse to reveal a partial grey background.

As a result I can't get to the shutdown options on the bottom right or select which window manager I want to use. Plus the whole thing looks ridiculous.
Has anyone got any ideas confused is going on ?

I tried setting the log in to automatically log in to an account at startup and then set it back to enable me to choose a user, but the problem is still there.
Everything is fine once I log in but seeing this screwed up log in screen is getting very annoying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rudyd

Re: Log in screen messed up

Post by rudyd »

I bet better to try a change.
Just a few hints - you have a gdm problem.

Try

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure gdm
at first.

Just further tips - If the above does not help - you need something else.

Try to reinstall gdm. If that is not work out again then:

Try to install kdm (just in case of emergency) then remove gdm with purge option. After this install gdm again as a clean one.

If that yet does not help.....
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

Thanks for the reply rudyd
I tried a few things included what you'd mentioned with no success.

It was annoying the hell out of me seeing that screen so I ended up installing LM12.
Now I'm annoyed for a whole bunch of other reasons. :roll:
rudyd

Post by rudyd »

Well.

In this case - I Wish Good health and all the best for your daughter and beloved too! 8) Let her keep up with the good talents. :)
On LM12 - I wish you a lots of luck.

Return to “LMDE Archive”