Default firewall in Mint.

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Default firewall in Mint.

Postby abickerton on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi,

Having just re-installed after far too long, I realised that I had at some point configured an iptables firewall. On a completely clean system, the firewall is set to allow all; even forwarding, this is bad.

For future spins of LMDE at least could we at least disable forwarding by setting the iptables policy to drop by default. Personally I usually allow all outbound, for inbound rules allow established or related and anything coming from the local subnet.

Maybe my settings are not ideal, but it's just my 2 cents.

A.
abickerton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Default firewall in Mint.

Postby mike acker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

abickerton wrote:Hi,

Having just re-installed after far too long, I realised that I had at some point configured an iptables firewall. On a completely clean system, the firewall is set to allow all; even forwarding, this is bad.

For future spins of LMDE at least could we at least disable forwarding by setting the iptables policy to drop by default. Personally I usually allow all outbound, for inbound rules allow established or related and anything coming from the local subnet.

Maybe my settings are not ideal, but it's just my 2 cents.

A.

do you need a firewall? or does your router provide this?
Home assembled box using ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz cpu
mike acker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Default firewall in Mint.

Postby kurotsugi on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 pm

the tittle is a lil bit misleading. I think it should be 'default firewall policy in LMDE'. AFAIK it turned off by default. we already have ufw and gufw installed but user need turn it on and configure it by themself. if you're not satisfied with this schema you can try to ask clem to change the firewall policy.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Open Discussion