Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Debian

Post by cmost »

"It kinda sounds like they're just going to be Hardy +custom wallpaper :?"

Well, no...not at all. Ubuntu isn't strictly compatible with Debian anymore, since it long ago forked. Furthermore, Ubuntu is not a rolling distribution either. Debian has more packages than Ubuntu and Debian Testing is continually updated from Debian Unstable, which makes it an ideal choice for those who like to be on the cutting edge (and fits the definition of a true rolling distribution.) I think it's a great idea that Parsix has styled itself to resemble Ubuntu. So few Debian Testing based distributions even support Gnome, let alone a current version like Gnome 2.20 (Gnome 2.22 is in the 'Viola' release, which is forthcoming.) As Parsix matures, it will no doubt garner more Ubuntu (and probably some Mint) users to its fold. A great many Ubuntu / Mint users are reluctant users as they really prefer Debian but hate the time consuming and tedious hassles of getting a vanilla Debian installation into the same working state as presented out of the box by Ubuntu / Mint. I count myself as one of those users!!!

On a related topic, I've fully configured Ubuntu Hardy on my laptop and everything worked right out of the box, including wireless! This is where Ubuntu really shines over Debian. I look forward to Linux Mint 5.0, which will be based on the upcoming Ubuntu Hardy release.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I look forward to Linux Mint 5.0, which will be based on the upcoming Ubuntu Hardy release.
No, not quite actually.
The main edition forked off Ubuntu with Barbara based on Edgy....
The KDE edition was based on Gutsy Kubuntu to save time I'm told
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Husse wrote:
I look forward to Linux Mint 5.0, which will be based on the upcoming Ubuntu Hardy release.
No, not quite actually.
The main edition forked off Ubuntu with Barbara based on Edgy....
The KDE edition was based on Gutsy Kubuntu to save time I'm told
You're right, and I knew that already. I should have said the upcoming Linux Mint 5 will have many of Hardy's enterprise ready features (and of course it will be compatible with its package base.) :D
sothea

Post by sothea »

pls do realize it. you guys can do it! :D
N1ckR

Post by N1ckR »

ranyardm wrote: Hackerwise I'm intermediate, and I am a huge LinuxMint advocate (my mum uses it too!). A friend whos skills are more webby than mine is about to be a convert I do believe, but I know he enthused about debian testing when he did his last distro eval; he may become useful ;-)
Martyn Ranyard
That would be me !

Debian Testing is my fav distro.

I currently run windows, but once I get a few personal projects out of the way I will be migrating back to Linux, as XP is getting towards the end of its life and I don't like Vista or that damn Ribbon bar in office 2007 !

Just thought I would pop along and register my interest, and would be happy to offer my help in testing, bug reporting and casual help.
Last edited by N1ckR on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindhunter2202

Post by Mindhunter2202 »

As I wrote here I am actually working on a Debian Lenny based Distro having the Mint functionality included. But is is only for learning linux and it won't be published. I don't have linux skills and atm google is my best friend.
If someone professional could make this happen then we all would have a very fast Mint with the beautiful tool and improvements of Linux Mint.

Mindhunter2202
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I have limited Debian experience, but have been keeping an eye out for more news about the possibility of a community edition. If the few of you decide to group up and begin focusing on this project let me know. I would be more than happy to spend considerable effort in development and testing. Please PM me when you make a decision.
thyultimate

Post by thyultimate »

Wish I could help :D
ranyardm

Post by ranyardm »

Just be glad it doesn't come with a DNR order!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

For those of you anxiously awaiting a Debian edition of Mint, I guess I could give you all a sneak peek at a little project I'm working on. Since nobody has taken the reins of Debian Mint, I decided to just do what I wanted to in the first place. Take Debian Testing, tweaked and honed by the talented members of the Parsix community; then add Mint tools, codecs and other niceties that only Mint can do with aplomb and Viola! Debian done right! This is strictly unofficial and not sanctioned by either the Mint or Parsix communities!
Mudkips

Post by Mudkips »

Nice! Godspeed!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Mixing it with Parsix just seems like a bad idea. They're distro is ok, but not up to par with what I have grown to expect from Mint.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

lakehousetech wrote:Mixing it with Parsix just seems like a bad idea. They're distro is ok, but not up to par with what I have grown to expect from Mint.
Which is the point! Take Parsix, which I happen to think is a very promising Debian based distro, and get it on par with Mint by incorporating the elements that make Mint so great. Of course, if you have a better idea you're free to put your money where your mouth and take leadership of the Debian Mint Community Edition yourself. So far, i have seen a lot of people commenting about a Debian edition of Mint and wanting it to happen but I only hear dead silence when I call for volunteers to get the project started. Many people have offered to download and test, but nobody seems to want to help create the thing in the first place. This is a good idea because I see no reason to reinvent the wheel. Other communities, like Parsix, have already done a lot of the work. Parsix Linux is one of the rare Debian based distros that use Gnome by default (Gnome is notoriously buggy in Debian;) it most closely resembles Ubuntu / Mint and therefore it's as good a place as any to start.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I'm willing to contribute in development, but as this would be my first 'linux' project it would help to work with some of those who are more experienced...as you somewhat stated with Parsix. @cmost, let me know the details of the previous folks who were supposed to be working on it, as well as those who you think are seriously interested. I would be more than happy to draw up a basic project plan and time frame and collaborate on dates and objectives.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think you need to slow down a moment - I have nothing against Parsix but this is to be a Mint edition - right?
I don't have any time left over for this - otherwise it could be interesting
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Firstly, this nothing more than a little experiment I'm doing for MYSELF. I've no plans on making an ISO available any time soon though I do plan to report successes or failures in the event Debian Mint becomes a reality. In hindsight, I should not have even mentioned it but so many people seem interested I thought I would toss out a little bone. Nevertheless, while we're on the topic, I don't understand this objection to using Parsix as a base. Mint uses Ubuntu as a base. What's the problem? We're talking about open source software and as long as improvements are contributed back to the whole, who cares? With the source packages available, Linux Mint tools, logos and theming could be just as easily incorporated into a Parsix base as any Debian base. While it would be preferable to build a Debian based edition of Mint from the ground up, it seems a waste of time to reinvent the wheel fifty times, I don't think that's very practical. Why not start with a strong base, like Parsix, that's already been advanced to a point where the Mint community can take it further.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Sorry Husse. I guess I had the impression this was more of an idea straight from the team. I won't pursue it any longer. I definitely don't want to step on anyones toes or anything. I just thought this was an interesting and fun project worth looking into. I will hold off until the dev team finds it prudent to begin something, and asks for help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The team wont do anything with the debian for a very long time - we simply don't have the time for it.
And as for my remark in the post above it was more a reminder for you not to get to carried away and end up somewhere else :)
So cmost if you find the parsix idea good I don't object to it
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I agree, and I'm sure that Cmost is also in agreement along with many others. I can understand where Husse is coming from. It really is a huge undertaking. Might be better to wait until it becomes feasible, or the development team is allowed to expand enough to handle another community offering. I think I will have more time come summer to focus energies on a project like this. I don't know where I would be able to assist best, but I am a software engineer, mostly focused on embedded systems. I have only been using Linux for a couple years now, so I don't consider myself seasoned yet. Keep me posted. I'm on board.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thinking of it - it could be done "the Ubuntu way"
They take a snapshot of Debian (Sid I believe) and develop then six months later another snapshot
But of course this would not be a "rolling Mint"
(Oh - I watch over every topic I've written something in - I use "view your posts" - only 79 pages now :))

Return to “LMDE Archive”