Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Zwopper »

cmost wrote:Thank you! By the way, I tested your pre-built ISO image in a VirtualBox machine and all I can say is Wow!! I got goosebumps when I saw the Mint splash screen and 100% Debian underneath. This really is great work!!! Have you had a look at some of the logo ideas that were posted to this thread? Some of these were very good: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

My personal favorite (and the one I believe to be most appropriate) is this one from Zwopper (it's the last post on page 4...oooh...pretty!!: :D
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... a&start=45
Thank you cmost! I'm glad you like it!
Like I stated in that thread, I can polish it if it's needed, I'll have a go at it! :idea:
I will give you all a howl when I'm done! :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

I really hope this project gets traction and becomes a reality. It would be a great way to show people who aren't familiar with Mint that Mint is not just Ubuntu + Codecs.
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

eeezzzeee wrote:Mint is not just Ubuntu + Codecs.
Here rather Mint Debian = Debian + codecs :wink:
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

Zwopper: I really like your logo. If you come up with a desktop wallpaper, I would love to see it. :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

maybeway36 wrote:Zwopper: I really like your logo. If you come up with a desktop wallpaper, I would love to see it. :)
OK!
Give me a day or two... :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I'm not sure how you upgraded the Mint Debian alpha to Daryna, considering they use completely different repositories (the Debian variant using Debian repositories and Daryna using Ubuntu's.) What you might have done is upgrade the original Debian to the new, upcoming Debian Lenny release. In any ccase, I'm not surprised you ran into some trouble.
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

How did you install the Daryna Debian release in the first place? I didn't think it had an installer.
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

Would it be possible to modify the debian net installer to install a debian mint base, then have mint packages you could add onto it. Like building a debian install from the base, only a modified debian mint. Then the user could select everything they wanted on their system. I know that kind of goes against how Mint is set up now with the elegant everything working out of the box philosophy, but I'm sure that it would appeal to the tinkerer's. I just got done with a debian xfce build, and I like how it runs, but I don't like things like not being able to easily install firefox (i know iceweasel is supposed to be the same, but i just can't come to like it for some reason). Being able to build Mint Debian in that way would be awesome.
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

You can install the mint-debian metapackage without Recommends and you should just get the bare essentials (GNOME and the minty themes.)
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that what I asked was kind of how you built it, sometimes it pays to reread the whole thread before you ask a questions. if I get some time this weekend I'll try install it and check it out. Thanks.
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

I just put out a sort of maintenance release, MintDebianAug19.iso (MD5: b37c8f7522a9f260eb544c6d7703f7ae)
Changes:
[*]The old mint-artwork package is now separated into mint-artwork and mint-debian-settings.
[*]The Debian netboot installer is put into the image with live-helper's built-in functionality instead of a custom script. This doesn't really matter, except that it changes the menu option names a bit.
[*]A new package called "mint-debian-artwork" is included. Currently, it contains wallpapers and GDM themes by cmost and Phill.
[*]All the packages on the Live CD have been updated to the newest Debian lenny as of August 19.
Also, there is a new install-only disc: MintDebianAug19InstallOnly.iso (MD5: f9fd593d8dadc147412ca96155f2cb8f)
This disc is a remaster of Debian's mini.iso that also contains the apt-cdrom packages just like the full CD. This way, you can install Debian and then add the metapackage to make it Mint Debian. Since most of the install components are downloaded during the install process, the ISO is only 20MB! :)
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

maybeway36, I just wanted to join the chorus of appreciation for your efforts here. Thanks very much.
dasunsrule32

Post by dasunsrule32 »

ROCK OUT! I didn't even know anyone was actually doing this! I love it! Please, keep up the good work. I am learning about Linux everyday, so if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know! I really want a Debian based distro, rather than an Ubuntu. Let me know! Thanks to all who are doing this!
codepilot

Post by codepilot »

Hello folks,

Debian Mint seems to be a possible solution for my problem I have with Elyssia and my computer => http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=16940. I can't test it right now, but it seems to be solution!

maybeway36, please keep up this great work, and let us know if you're releasing a new version. If I had the knowledge on Linux (I'm only coding on Linux, but did nothing yet on administrating/installing/configuring right now), I would relly like help you that this project is moving forward.

So long,
~codepilot
kidtienk

Post by kidtienk »

maybeway36 wrote:I just put out a sort of maintenance release, MintDebianAug19.iso (MD5: b37c8f7522a9f260eb544c6d7703f7ae)
Changes:
[*]The old mint-artwork package is now separated into mint-artwork and mint-debian-settings.
[*]The Debian netboot installer is put into the image with live-helper's built-in functionality instead of a custom script. This doesn't really matter, except that it changes the menu option names a bit.
[*]A new package called "mint-debian-artwork" is included. Currently, it contains wallpapers and GDM themes by cmost and Phill.
[*]All the packages on the Live CD have been updated to the newest Debian lenny as of August 19.
Also, there is a new install-only disc: MintDebianAug19InstallOnly.iso (MD5: f9fd593d8dadc147412ca96155f2cb8f)
This disc is a remaster of Debian's mini.iso that also contains the apt-cdrom packages just like the full CD. This way, you can install Debian and then add the metapackage to make it Mint Debian. Since most of the install components are downloaded during the install process, the ISO is only 20MB! :)
I don't know why, but i can't download iso from filefront.
Can some body give me a mirror? some direct link, maybe?
tx.

Post by Guest »

psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Hey everyone I just read through all 12 pages of this and its fantastic. I'm so glad to see it! Unfortunately I'm none too technical and none too artistic but if someone wants to tell me what to do I can try and do it. I'm more than willing to do what I can.
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

I'm working on making a proper install CD for this by using simple-cdd. I am going to use the mint tools in Romeo and make a Debian sid version. When Lenny gets released as stable I will also release another Lenny version.
First I have to figure out simple-cdd, so I'm learning about it now.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

maybeway36, your efforts are very much appreciated.
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 »

I asked about the thread the other day. Someone said there was a thread and here it is. I am very interested in this project, I just have to find time to read through it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”