Thanks for LMDE! :-))

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rekuli

Thanks for LMDE! :-))

Post by rekuli »

I just happened to stumble across LinuxMint while looking for a suitably fast and small distro for my good old AspireOne. Download, dd to USB stick, install in a small testing partition, happiness, add wheezy source.list entries, more happiness. You did really good work there. One of the best distros (and the best installer) I have ever seen.
My favourite list of distros is now: debian, LinuxMint DE (in favor over Ubuntu), Gentoo, and Sorcerer.

Thanks! Especially for Cinnamon and MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Thanks for LMDE! :-))

Post by zerozero »

welcome to the forum 8) and thank you for the feedback!
rekuli

Re: Thanks for LMDE! :-))

Post by rekuli »

thank you zerozero.

There are a few minor issues, but they are easily resolved if one is accustomed to linux systems:

– not LMDE-specific, but MATE: you cannot set desktop edges for screen flipping without resorting to compiz fusion (and fusion does not offer the window handling I prefer, so I don't use flipping edges :wink: )

– if you upgrade from the wheezy repositories, some library conflicts must be resolved manually via apt-get or dpkg

– blender stops working with such an upgrade because of a specific lbrary feature hardcoded at compile-time, but a quick DL from blender.org and a purge/install remedies this (with other apps this may be similar; I haven't yet tested everything)

– the VLC default install of LMDE lacks diverse media format plug-ins, such as flash player, encapsulated wmv and quicktime (then again, VLC seems to have out-evolved itself, given that SMPlayer is the better player nowadays)

– after upgrading from Wheezy repositories the notifier told me of 163 updates that I refused to install for now because some weird dependencies want to de-install Cinnamon and I do not yet know which of those packages are responsible („No, you won't! No”)

Benefits of an LMDE/Wheezy crossintegration like I did, asides from the nice GUI and the fast system, are:

– the fastest package management system on linux and the shortest install/upgrade times possible

– wine 1.5.5 from the winehq.org debian Sid downloads runs out of the box (and thus most Windows(R) games and applications)

– with the debian repositories, a vast amount of packages, applications, utils, and games awaits; much of wich are not offered by other distros

– easy maintenance and (re)configuration

(does it show that I'm a debian fan? :D )

If I find more, positive or negative, I'll post it where suiting.

Return to “LMDE Archive”