So what's delaying the new ISO?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Jenia

So what's delaying the new ISO?

Post by Jenia »

I've been checking the ISO testing page on the community website since January 1st, and now it's mid january, and still nothing!
So I stalk the forum, looking around for any clues as to what's the holdup! But there's nothing :?

So I decided to drop the question, even though I know the the most likely answer to get is "It'll be ready when it's ready" or something along those lines.

What's holding up the new ISO's release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: So what's delaying the new ISO?

Post by Orbmiser »

If you are talking about Mint 15? or Cinnamon 1.8?
Development as 14 was just released not to long ago.
Cinnamon 1.8 (coming in April 2013 and in Linux Mint 15 in May 2013).
passerby

Post by passerby »

I'm guessing he's waiting on LMDE UP6 isos, since the ETA given was January 2013.
Waiting on that one myself >.<
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Jenia wrote:

Don't know.

But if you like xfce, then, go try this
The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6

Postby Schoelje on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 am

13/01/2013
The unofficial LMDE Xfce is now ready for download and webworker has been so kind to also host the LMDE Xfce iso's on his server!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=122592
Jenia

Post by Jenia »

Orbmiser wrote:If you are talking about Mint 15? or Cinnamon 1.8?
Development as 14 was just released not to long ago.
Cinnamon 1.8 (coming in April 2013 and in Linux Mint 15 in May 2013).
Why would I ask about the main edition on the LMDE subforum? :lol:
passerby wrote:I'm guessing he's waiting on LMDE UP6 isos, since the ETA given was January 2013.
Waiting on that one myself >.<
That!
wayne128 wrote:
Jenia wrote:

Don't know.

But if you like xfce, then, go try this

Postby Schoelje on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 am

13/01/2013
The unofficial LMDE Xfce is now ready for download and webworker has been so kind to also host the LMDE Xfce iso's on his server!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=122592
Thanks! But I'd probably try to convert it to a Cinnamon edition and mess up!
(If there's a tutorial on how to change your desktop from one edition to another in LMDE while maintaining overall integration of stuff, please, link me!)
passerby

Post by passerby »

I don't know if there's a specific tutorial for xfce -> cinnamon, but the process shouldn't be much different than going from any DE to another.
If you want to keep xfce, just install cinnamon through synaptic or a terminal (you may also need to install muffin separately; it didn't install by default for me).
If you want to replace xfce, either go through and remove xfce4 packages at your whim or, If you want to get rid of the bulk of xfce with ease, run a command akin to

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge xcfe4*
, autoremove anything left over, then install cinnamon.
It won't be as clean as installing a LMDE cinnamon edition iso, but you'll still be left with UP6 and cinnamon.

ie. for a quick and dirty transition: sudo apt-get purge xfce4* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-themes muffin
The more "proper" way: open synaptic > remove all xfce packages you don't want > install cinnamon and the other packages you do want.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

soon :lol:
Jenia

Post by Jenia »

So I went ahead and tried to install the XFCE edition - it was a complete disaster.
At first all was well - it booted fast, installed with seemingly no problems, so I want ahead and started pulling in my old data from my backups into it, as well as installing all my old software.

"What the heck, I'll give XFCE another roll!" I thought, but lo, when I tried to install mysql, it kept failing to start. Odd!
I thought this spiffy new driver manager can install nvidia without sgfxi - so I checked the nvidia driver in it. But then both nouveau and nvidia were checked. So I tried to uncheck nouveau.
Which led to it installing both of them and my computer failing to start a second time. Also SAMBA and WINBIND, as well as some "mailing daemon" (can't remember the name, something with M and X I think) failed to start - I only saw this because my desktop failed to start.
"Oh well!" I thought "Let's go with sgfxi!"

Eventually I get my desktop up and running again, and install skype (mysql is trying to configure itself - and failing - every time i call apt, now).
I make a call and the person on the other side can't hear me.
I open alsa mixer, and surely enough, my microphone is muted.
I unmute it. Huge mistake. I am now unable to unmute it without muting my headphones.
Furthermore, the only one who hears what goes into my microphone is me - the other side on skype STILL can't hear it!
I disconnect my headphones.
It gets worse. The internal microphone is now locked in a feedback loop with the internal speakers, producing a horrible screeching sound unless speakers are muted.

Something is horribly wrong with this :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”