LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Post by laofzu »

Ahh, wouldn't it be nice if all you had to do was keep doing the updates, and everything kept working as it should. In real life, that doesn't happen. Each update pack brings new problems to sort out, and usually requires a complete new install to get everything working again. Sometimes 2 or 3 installs! And, just when you have it all working again, then another update pack is released starting the whole cycle over again. Educational, but frustrating.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you know what? it actually can be done :D and in real life
first entry in synaptic's history

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Sun Mar 27 21:39:30 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
mintupdate (4.2.5) to 4.2.6
installed kernels (from the old 2.6.32 until the actual 3.2.0-4)

~ $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image*
ii  linux-image-2.6-amd64                  3.2+46                             amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (dummy package)
ii  linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64             2.6.32-31                          amd64        Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-2.6.38-2-amd64             2.6.38-5                           amd64        Linux 2.6.38 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-2.6.39-2-amd64             2.6.39-3                           amd64        Linux 2.6.39 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64              3.0.0-3                            amd64        Linux 3.0.0 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.1.0-1-amd64              3.1.8-2                            amd64        Linux 3.1 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64              3.2.6-1                            amd64        Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64              3.2.20-1                           amd64        Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.2.0-3-amd64              3.2.23-1                           amd64        Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64              3.2.35-2                           amd64        Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-amd64                      3.2+46                             amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
this install went through the gnome2 - gnome3 transition without problems; was hit by one major bug: the xorg/nvidia incompatibility back in late sept 2011 (ahh and a couple tty's because of nvidia :mrgreen: )
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

And if you are a distrohopper who loves to try out other distro's then there's always the dual or multi boot way to go.
Unless you messed up your system or you want to install LMDE on someone elses computer, that of course is another story.
A distro hopper but also install for other people once in a while. :)
I make a 'remastersys (the wheezy one works quite well) of the ISO upgraded to UPack6 (with few extras includinding rematersys with GUI.

J.Jay
yro

Post by yro »

please, for others subjects, create another topic.

this topic is about the up6 isos, the release date, etc.

im waiting for the updated isos here but it will be nice to hear from clem some infos about the kernel version and the xorg server version.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 4350 wich is in the Legacy Branch, and I dont want to buy another videocard too soon... So itll be nice to know if the LMDE updated ISOs with UP6 will be compatible with the AMD Legacy drivers.

And dont come here with that crap of downgrading xrog, etc. That shit messes up with the hole OS (atleast in my machine).
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

yro wrote: im waiting for the updated isos here but it will be nice to hear from clem some infos about the kernel version and the xorg server version.
Since Debian testing is used and according to UP6 you can expect the 3.2.0-4 Kernel. I believe xorg server is xserver-xorg? That would be the 1:7.7+1 version after i looked in Synaptic.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

re: xorg i believe is this we are talking about

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ apt policy xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-core:
  Installed: 2:1.12.4-4
  Candidate: 2:1.12.4-4
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.12.4-4 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
yro

Post by yro »

zerozero wrote:re: xorg i believe is this we are talking about

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ apt policy xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-core:
  Installed: 2:1.12.4-4
  Candidate: 2:1.12.4-4
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.12.4-4 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

do you know if amd legacy is compatible with xserver 1.12."4"? on amd site they say that catalyst legacy is compatible with "1.12"...
iteration

LMDE Update Pack 6 isos

Post by iteration »

Any word of late on the January 2013 ISOs? I'm just lazy I guess. I'd like to start from scratch.
0xnak

Re: LMDE Update Pack 6 isos

Post by 0xnak »

wondering the same thing...
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

LMDE is based on Debians Testing Branch ... which has been in the 'freeze' stage of its development for the past 5-6 months.

So, everything in the LMDE / Debian 7 Testing Repros is pretty much FROZEN until Wheezy is released as 'Stable later this year.
Then, a new Testing Release is made for Debian 8 Jessie.

This is in reality a good time to do a fresh install of LMDE/Debian Wheezy.
If you keep LMDE/Wheezy updated, with the few updates that come along ... you will not become overwhelmed when Wheezy goes 'stable' and the OS is unfrozen. Last time, there were around 1500 undates in the first month or so.

Note: Last time the Testing Release went 'Stable' was on Feb 6th (a couple years back) ... so I'd be looking for Wheezy (testing) to go Stable anytime now.
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

So are you saying that the new iso with UP6 and separate cinnamon and mate verisions is being delayed to wait for wheezy to go stable? I was really hoping that wasn't the case. The current iso's are getting a little long in the tooth and installing 1200+ updates (UP 6) on a new install of lmde is pretty time consuming.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

0xnak wrote:So are you saying that the new iso with UP6 and separate cinnamon and mate verisions is being delayed to wait for wheezy to go stable? I was really hoping that wasn't the case. The current iso's are getting a little long in the tooth and installing 1200+ updates (UP 6) on a new install of lmde is pretty time consuming.
I believe they were supposed to enter QA either last week or this week, which means we'll hopefully have an RC soon. I'm looking forward to getting all of my installs ready for wheezy's release (I've been changing a lot recently, and I'm hoping to settle down).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

cwwgateway wrote:I believe they were supposed to enter QA either last week or this week
And they just entered there: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :)
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

Cool! Thanks for the info. How long does the qa process typically take? Is it an internal thing only? If not, I'd be willing to help.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

The ISOs have entered Q&A: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

moving these posts into a separate topic :)
0xnak wrote:How long does the qa process typically take? Is it an internal thing only? If not, I'd be willing to help.
how long? hard to tell 8) they will be released when ready (we already had Q&A of a couple days and others of a week or more)

it's not internal so to speak: it's done by a team http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/team; you can apply as well (as far as i can gather at the moment the best approach is emailing Clem with the proposal)
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

vrkalak wrote:LMDE is based on Debians Testing Branch ... which has been in the 'freeze' stage of its development for the past 5-6 months.

So, everything in the LMDE / Debian 7 Testing Repros is pretty much FROZEN until Wheezy is released as 'Stable later this year.
Then, a new Testing Release is made for Debian 8 Jessie.

This is in reality a good time to do a fresh install of LMDE/Debian Wheezy.
If you keep LMDE/Wheezy updated, with the few updates that come along ... you will not become overwhelmed when Wheezy goes 'stable' and the OS is unfrozen. Last time, there were around 1500 undates in the first month or so.

Note: Last time the Testing Release went 'Stable' was on Feb 6th (a couple years back) ... so I'd be looking for Wheezy (testing) to go Stable anytime now.
You forgot mentioning that this time is going to be much harder (you only have to see what it is gonna happen with the kernel version, gnome shell version, xserver version -important specially if you want to run the ATI legacy driver-...) it is gonna be really "fun".
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

cwwgateway wrote:The ISOs have entered Q&A: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso.
Great! So would you have an educated guess as to the approximate time-frame for finally releasing these iso's?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Ibex wrote:
Great! So would you have an educated guess as to the approximate time-frame for finally releasing these iso's?
I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

cwwgateway wrote:
Ibex wrote:
I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.
Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”